Rosie's Funfair Special, retitled Rosie's Carnival Special in American releases, is the third episode of the twelfth season.
Emily and Rosie have to take a funfair train at Brendam Docks. Rosie excitedly hopes the Fat Controller ask her to pull the funfair but much to her disappointement, he gives the job to take the funfair to Emily making Rosie as Emily's back engine. Meanwhile, Rosie is sadly puffing along the line when an idea flies into her funnel: if she arrives at the docks before Emily, she will take the funfair train instead, making Emily to go straight to the Hill farm, hoping it will help her.
Soon Rosie arrives at the docks and gasps as she sees how the train is long. Then she couples up but she doesn't know Emily was already on the other side of the train, waiting for Rosie. Rosie starts to pull as hard as she could but this causes a coupling to break. Rosie leaves with the train but she doesn't realise she has left half of the train behind.
Meanwhile, Rosie chuffs happily but then there was trouble: another coupling breaks and the truck smashes into the level crossing where Bertie is waiting, blocking him, and is not long before another coupling breaks and causes the sugar truck to crash into Stepney. Rosie continues puffing but as she climbs Gordon's hill a couple snaps once again and crashes into Emily who's bringing the rest of the train.
Soon Rosie cheerfully arrives at Maithwaite station but her mind soon changes when she sees the Fat Controller. He is very angry and scolds Rosie for disobeying him and causing confusion and delay, to make things worse, he tells her that she left half of the train and now there won't be any funfair for the children. Rosie feels terrible, but then she apologises and promises to set things right.
So Rosie fetches Rocky and brings him to Emily, who is still stuck. Rosie apologises to Emily for her silly behaviour and tells her she will take the other trucks when Rocky clears the line. Soon the two engines are coupled up and arrive at Maithwaite just in time.
That evening, Rosie and Emily are watching the happy children at the funfair. Rosie hopes she and Emily could work togheter again, and admits that working with Emily is best of all.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stepney (does not speak in UK narration)
- Rocky (does not speak)
- Bertie (does not speak)
- Trevor (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- The Ginger-haired Boy (cameo)
- Gordon (mentioned)
- Toby (incorrectly referred to on French title card)
- Brendam Docks
- Sodor Shipping Company
- Gordon's Hill
- The Smelter's Yard
- The Windmill
- The Washdown
- High Farm (mentioned)
- Hill Farm (mentioned)
- The coconuts that were in the truck are actually coffee beans.
- In the US narration, Stepney says "Oh my!" just before the sugar truck hits him. This is absent in the UK version.
- This episode marks Stepney's first appearance since the seventh season, and his first speaking role since the fifth season episode, Stepney Gets Lost, though he only speaks in the US narration. This is also his last appearance to date.
- Stepney did not have a CGI face when the truck hit him, but in a rare picture, he did.
- It is possible that Stepney's appearance in this episode was inspired by the fact that writer, Andrew Viner's favourite Railway Series book was Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine.
- This marks the last appearance of the Smelters Yard to date.
- In the beginning, Emily says "High Farm," but Rosie calls it "Hill Farm" while she puffs to Brendam.
- In the US narration, Stepney says "Oh my!" but his mouth doesn't match the words.
- When the sugar truck crashes into Stepney, the side of it is upside down.
- The French title is misleading as the episode was not centered on Toby.
- In the US narration, Stepney doesn't sound shocked when the truck of pink sugar is about to crash into him.
- When the camera zooms out after the coconut truck crashes into the crossing, Bertie disappears.
- Stepney's whistle is Thomas' at a higher pitch.
- TrackMaster - Rosie's Fun Fair Special and Sodor Carnival (discontinued)
- Books - Rosie and the Special
- Magazine Stories - Fun at the Carnival!
In Other Languages
|French||Toby et la Fête Foraine / Rosie et le Foraine d'Fête (Québec)||Toby and the Funfair / Rosie and the Funfiar (Canada)|
|Spanish||Rosie y el Especial de la Feria||Rosie and the Fair Special|
|Portuguese||Rosie e o Especial||Rosie and the Special|
|German||Übereifrige Rosie||Overzealous Rosie|
|Italian||Il Trasporto Speciale di Rosie per la Fiera||Rosie's Special Load for the Fair|
|Czech||Rosie a Zvláštní Pouťový Náklad||Rosie and the Special Cargo Fairground|
|Indonesian||Kereta Taman Hiburan Rosie||Trains Amusement, Rosie|
|Polish||Specjalne Zadanie Rózi||Rosie's Special Task|
|Catalan||Rosie i el Parc D'atraccions Especial||Rosie and the Funfair Special|
|Slovak||Rosie a Zvláštny Jarmočný Náklad||Rosie and the Special Cargo Fairground|
|Chinese||罗西与游园会||Rosie and the Garden Party|
|Korean||로지의 특급열차||Rosie's Express Train|
|Thai||ขบวนรถมหาสนุกของโรซี่||Rosie's Convoy Fun|