Rosie is a tank engine who idolises Thomas.
Rosie and the other 382 engines of her class were built in Iowa and Pennsylvania and shipped to Britain in 1942. After the D-Day landings, the engines were sent to mainland Europe to assist with the war effort. Sometime after 1945, Rosie made her way to Sodor.
Rosie began idolising Thomas to the point of hero-worship and imitation. Though this is said to be the most sincere form of flattery, it only served to irritate Thomas whilst he was trying to deliver a special birthday post train to Alice at High Farm. He even started to try and avoid her. After Thomas had an accident in the course of delivering this train, she helped him and he started to respect her.
Rosie later helped Thomas shunt trucks until Hector frightened her away.
Rosie was later charged with acting as back-engine to Emily with the funfair special. Wanting to take the train herself and, thinking she was doing Emily a favour, Rosie succeeded only in creating confusion and delay on a grand scale, but eventually set things right.
Rosie rescued Thomas when his fire went out after playing a game of "splish, splash, splosh". She later let Diesel take her train of flowers which was headed for market.
One day Rosie had a cracked wheel, so Thomas and Butch brought her a new one.
On Sodor Surprise Day, Thomas bumped some coal trucks to surprise Gordon, but ended up surprising her instead.
Rosie is a friendly, respectful, and helpful tank engine. She and Thomas like to have fun and also like to help each other when they are doing work. Rosie could be described as a feisty, energetic tomboy who is not afraid to work hard.
Rosie is a SR USA Class 0-6-0T; she has a taller funnel than the rest of the class. Ironically, fifteen of these engines were sold to the Southern Railway where they were used as dockyard shunters, replacing the ex-LB&SCR E2s, Thomas' brothers.
Rosie is painted lavender with light grey tank panels, gold boiler bands, and red detailing on her wheels and metalwork.
- Teresa Gallagher (UK; thirteenth season onwards)
- Jules de Jongh (US; thirteenth season onwards)
- Hisayo Mochizuki (Japan)
- Simona Pahl (Germany)
- Micaela Incitti (Italy)
- Justyna Bojczuk (Poland)
- Talya Barkay (Israel)
- Lena Meieran (Norway; thirteenth - sixteenth season)
- Blanche Ravalec (France and French speaking Canada)
- Rosie's model is currently on display at Drayton Manor.
- Rosie has both her whistle and connecting rods in different positions compared to her prototype:
- Rosie's whistle is positioned behind her rear dome whilst her prototype has its whistle positioned on the right side of the middle dome.
- Rosie's connecting rods are attached to her middle driving wheels whereas her prototype has its connecting rods attached to the rear driving wheels.
- In Red for Rosie, one image depicts her with a tender.
- Rosie's whistle sound is really Thomas' in a higher pitch.
- Upon the switchover to CGI, Rosie's face became slightly smaller, her funnel and steam pipes became thinner, her lampirons were removed and a detail on her coal bunker has been pushed in.
- From Percy's Lucky Day onwards, Rosie had a golden headlamp mounted in front of her funnel on her smokebox.
- Wooden Railway (normal, battery powered; discontinued, holiday versions, early engineers and roll and whistle)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued outside Asia)
- TrackMaster (many versions)
- Take-Along (normal, metallic, and "lights and sounds"; discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal and talking)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- My First Thomas
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up (normal, metallic and transparent; Japan only)
- Discover Junction
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engines • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Flynn • Winston • Stafford|