Rocky is a large breakdown crane who is part of the Sodor Rescue Team.
When Rocky was new to Sodor, Gordon and Edward were skeptical about his abilities, noting that Harvey could travel under his own power. Later, Edward carelessly left the docks before his cargo was properly secured, causing pipes to spill onto the Main Line. Edward was adamant that Harvey clear up the line, but the little crane engine was too small to finish the job quickly and as a result, Gordon crashed into the pipes. Edward returned to Brendam to pick up Rocky, who cleared the line and put Gordon back on the rails.
Since this incident, Rocky has become an invaluable asset to the railway. He is frequently called upon to lift loads and help out after accidents. He is based at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre, but is seen at the dock and other places like Sodor Slate Quarry helping out. He also tells the other members of the search and rescue team about the calls to action.
Rocky likes to lift heavy objects such as engines, coaches, and trucks. He is a friendly crane and helps the engines when there is an accident.
Rocky is a Ransomes and Rapier 45-ton steam crane, built around 1945.
Rocky is painted a dull red colour with yellow hazard stripes.
- Glenn Wrage (US; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto (Japan)
- Gerhart Hinze (Germany; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Anders Sundstedt (Norway; Hero of the Rails only)
- Christian Greger Strøm (Norway; thirteenth - seventeenth season, excluding Day of the Diesels and Blue Mountain Mystery)
- Simen Sand (Norway; Day of the Diesels onwards, excluding the sixteenth and seventeenth season)
- One of Rocky's television series models is currently on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- Rocky does not have windows on the front of his cab, making it difficult for the operator to see what is happening.
- In Season 11, it was stated that Rocky was too heavy for Thomas to move, but since the CGI cross-over, Thomas can move him.
- Since the CGI switch-over, Rocky's face has slightly decreased in size.
- Wooden Railway
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued outside Asia)
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up (Japan only)