|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the UK VHS, the Philippine DVD, the Dutch DVD or the magazine story.|
- "Nothing's happened! Nothing's happened! Silly old Diesel, clever me!"
Rock 'n' Roll is the tenth (ninth in Australia) episode of the fourth season. It first aired on the Shining Time Station spin-off, Mr. Conductor's Thomas Tales episode, Wish You Were Here in 1996 in the US.
One day, Skarloey meets Rusty and tells him how different the railway feels since he left to be mended. Rusty explains that he and the manager planned it to give Skarloey a surprise upon his return. Later that day, he warns Skarloey that there is still a damaged piece of line just outside the first station and expresses specific worry that Duncan, with his habit of "rock 'n' roll," will derail there. Duncan overhears the two engines' conversation and demands to know why they are talking about him. Rusty attempts to warn him, but Duncan dismisses the warning, and thinks he doesn't need Rusty (who becomes insulted) to tell him what to do.
Duncan collects his coaches and arrives at the station where James is already waiting for him. When Duncan explains his grievances with Rusty, James tells him of the time he supposedly sent Diesel packing. Filled with admiration and unaware James was bragging and sometimes lied, Duncan becomes more reckless and, despite his driver's warning, as he approaches the bad bit of line, begins to "rock 'n' roll," which ultimately causes him to derail.
Rusty is sent to help, but initially refuses until Skarloey reminds him that the passengers will be stranded otherwise. He arrives with some workmen who work alongside the passengers to lever Duncan, who is sad for his silly actions, back onto the rails. For the rest of the day, Duncan is extra careful. That evening, he apologises to Rusty and asks if they can be friends. Rusty agrees and promises to mend the damaged line in the morning.
- Thomas (cameo)
- Gordon (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Duck (cameo)
- Sir Handel (cameo)
- Peter Sam (cameo)
- Duke (cameo)
- Jeremiah Jobling (cameo)
- Diesel (not named; mentioned)
- Crovan's Gate
- Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds
- Lakeside Bridge
- Sodor Castle
- The Mountain Road
- Rheneas Viaduct
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, The Little Old Engine.
- Going by production order, this is the ninth episode of the fourth season..
- On early UK releases of Rock 'n' Roll and other Stories, "James was already there waiting for him" is heard later.
- This episode marks the last time the Narrow-Gauge Coaches are seen with faces to date.
- When Skarloey meets Rusty, he is on (viewer perspective) the left side of Rusty. Further down the line, they seem to have switched tracks. Skarloey also has a new line of trucks.
- When Duncan "rocks 'n' rolls" in his first scene, the track is tilted.
- When Duncan comes off the track, he has his happy face mask on.
- The pole used to derail Duncan is clearly visible.
- When Rusty says "Oh! I forgot about them!" his right eye pokes in.
- In the close-up of Duncan's wheels when he is put back on the rails, no people are visible, Duncan's rear wheel remains derailed, and the shadow of the hand putting him down can be seen.
- Rusty's eyes are wonky in the very last shot.
- Duncan's coaches have faces when he fetches them, but when Duncan meets James at Crovan's Gate, they lose their faces.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||Rueda que te Rueda||Wheel that Wheel You|
|Norwegian||Rock 'n' Roll||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Finnish||Rock n Roll Veturi||Rock n Roll Engine|
|Dutch||Rock 'n Roll||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Japanese||ロックンロール||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Czech||Rokenrol||Rock and Roll|
|Russian||Рок н ролл||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Italian||Rock 'n' Roll||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Welsh||Roc a Rôl!||Rock and Roll!|
|Slovenian||Ples na tirih||Dancing on Rails|
|Romanian||Rock 'n' Roll||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Chinese||摇滚乐||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Hungarian||Rock and Roll||Rock and Roll|
|Polish||Tańczący Damian||Duncan Dances|
|German||Rock ,n' Roll||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Swedish||Rock 'n' Roll||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Slovak||Rok en Rol||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Danish||Rock'n'roll||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Greek||Ροκ'ν'ρολ||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Thai||รัซตีมาช่วยดันแคน||Rusty Hit to Help Duncan|
|Korean||친구가 된 러스티와 덩컨||Became Friends with Rusty and Duncan|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 3||Season 4||Season 5 >>|
|#01||Granpuff||#10||Rock 'n' Roll||#19||Henry and the Elephant|
|#02||Sleeping Beauty||#11||Special Funnel||#20||Toad Stands By|
|#03||Bulldog||#12||Steam Roller||#21||Bulls Eyes|
|#04||You Can't Win||#13||Passengers and Polish||#22||Thomas and the Special Letter|
|#05||Four Little Engines||#14||Gallant Old Engine||#23||Paint Pots and Queens|
|#06||A Bad Day for Sir Handel||#15||Rusty to the Rescue||#24||Fish|
|#07||Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady||#16||Thomas and Stepney||#25||Special Attraction|
|#08||Trucks||#17||Train Stops Play||#26||Mind that Bike|
|#09||Home at Last||#18||Bowled Out||