|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the station or the Story Library book.|
Rheneas is the Skarloey Railway's second engine.
Unlike Skarloey, Rheneas was stern and thoughtful and fell out with Skarloey after the latter called him a "stick-in-the-mud" following an argument over cabs. The two reconciled after Rheneas saved Skarloey from a landslide.
Rheneas literally saved the railway by keeping service through a very lean period in the late 1940s. By 1950, Skarloey was in need of repairs, leaving Rheneas to run the line. He managed to pull a full train home one rainy day despite jammed valve gear and was rewarded with an overhaul. His overhaul took place in 1961 and was returned to the Skarloey Railway soon after.
Rheneas has been called a "gallant old engine" before and deserves such a title. Rheneas is highly determined, brave, courageous, and long-time friend of Skarloey. He is a tough, committed worker despite his age and takes great responsibility in his work. He is keen to keep his friends smiling and, although he is a level-headed engine, he can be a bit of an adventurer too. Though he may often try to struggle on alone, Rheneas knows when it is time to call on the help of his friends. Nevertheless, Rheneas is always highly dedicated to the task at hand.
In the Railway Series Rheneas is painted in the Skarloey Railway's red livery and blue and yellow lining. In the television series, he is painted vermilion with gold and black lining. For unknown reasons he is carmine in every merchandise range, except for his 2012 Wooden Railway release and the Bandai Tecs range. In Blue Mountain Mystery, he was repainted yellow with blue lining.
- Ben Small (UK/US; sixteenth season - onwards)
- Ryōtarō Okiayu (Japan; fourth-seventh seasons)
- Daiki Nakamura (Japan; Season 9 onwards)
- Jesse Grimm (Germany)
- In New Little Engine Rheneas is depicted as an 0-4-2.
- His name is Sudric for "Divided waterfall".
- From the sixteenth season onward, Rheneas' whistle budges up and down.
- One of Rheneas' models is currently in the possession of Nitrogen Studios.
- ERTL (normal and metallic; discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal and repainted versions)
- TOMY/TrackMaster (normal and repainted versions)
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal and repainted)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Bandai Tecs
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains (normal and metallic)
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan • Ivo Hugh • Duke • Fred • Mark V • Ministry of Defence Engine|
|Bertram • Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|