|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the station or the Story Library book.|
Bio in Railway Series
Rheneas was built by Fletcher, Jennings, and Co. at Whitehaven and arrived on the Skarloey Railway sometime around 1866. Unlike Skarloey, Rheneas was stern and thoughtful and fell out with Skarloey after the latter called him a "stick-in-the-mud" following an argument over cabs. The two reconciled after Rheneas saved Skarloey from a landslide.
Rheneas literally saved the railway by keeping service through a very lean period in the late 1940s. By 1950, Skarloey was in need of repairs, leaving Rheneas to run the line. He managed to pull a full train home one rainy day despite jammed valve gear and was rewarded with an overhaul. His overhaul took place in 1961 and was returned to the Skarloey Railway soon after. Because of his bravery, he earned the nickname "Gallant Old Engine" by railway staff.
Bio in Television Series
Rheneas has always been a gallant engine. In the fifth season, he, Skarloey, and Rusty were chased by boulder when it had rolled off from its cliff. In the sixth season he was able to save the Skarloey Railway from near abandoment with the help of Elizabeth, Rusty, and Skarloey.
In Blue Mountain Mystery, he had to encounter the collapsing Blondin Bridge, but made it down safely. He is currently working at the Blue Mountain Quarry, along with Skarloey, Sir Handel, Peter Sam, Rusty, and Luke.
Rheneas has been called a "gallant old engine" before and deserves such a title. Rheneas is highly determined, brave, courageous, and long-time friend of Skarloey. He is a tough, committed worker despite his age and takes great responsibility in his work. He is keen to keep his friends smiling and, although he is a level-headed engine, he can be a bit of an adventurer too. Though he may often try to struggle on alone, Rheneas knows when it is time to call on the help of his friends. Nevertheless, Rheneas is always highly dedicated to the task at hand.
In the Railway Series Rheneas is painted in the Skarloey Railway's red livery and blue and yellow lining. In the television series, he is painted vermilion with gold and black lining. In early magazine illustrations, he was painted carmine. This carried over to nearly all his merchandise. In Blue Mountain Mystery, he was repainted yellow with blue lining to play a joke on Thomas. He was painted back into his original colours soon afterwards.
- Ben Small (UK/US; sixteenth season onwards)
- Ryōtarō Okiayu (Japan; fourth - seventh seasons)
- Daiki Nakamura (Japan; ninth season onwards)
- Jesse Grimm (Germany)
- Stan Limburg (The Netherlands)
- Anders Sundstedt (Norway; sixteenth season only)
- Stig Krogstad (Norway; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards, excluding the seventeenth season)
- Noé Velázquez (Mexico; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; seventeenth season only)
- In New Little Engine Rheneas is depicted as an 0-4-2.
- His name is Sudric for "Divided waterfall".
- In the ninth season, Rheneas gained a tail lamp.
- Until the sixteenth season, Rheneas had no visible whistle, despite it being heard.
- When he returned in Blue Mountain Mystery, Rheneas was given some modifications, these include:
- Longer wheelbase.
- Accurate bufferbeam to his basis.
- Sanding gear.
- Handrail mounted onto the boiler.
- Visible whistle on his dome.
- In the seventeenth season, Rheneas gained a permanent lamp and lamp irons.
- One of Rheneas' models is currently in the possession of Nitrogen Studios, and another model is in Japan.
- The Reverend W. Awdry's model of Rheneas is currently on display at the Narrow Gauge Museum in Tywyn.
- "I tried hard, but I couldn't do much. But Rheneas understood.
- "Its my turn now," he said. "You've done more than your share of hard work."
- He was often short of steam, but he always tried to struggle to a station and rest there. That is most important with passengers!"
- Everyone cheered, but Rheneas heard nothing.
- "The Thin Controller is relying on me! If I fail the railway will close! It mustn't, it mustn't. I'll get there or burst!"
- Everything blurred. He was really too tired to move another yard. But he did! And another, and another, and another. Till...
- "...I've got there at last!" he sighed with relief."
- Rheneas bravely pulls his train home, "Gallant Old Engine", "Gallant Old Engine".
- ERTL (normal and metallic; discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal and repainted versions)
- TrackMaster (normal and repainted versions)
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal and repainted)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Bandai (several versions; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains (normal and metallic)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Departing Now
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan • Ivo Hugh • Duke • Fred • Mark V • Ministry of Defence Engine|
|Bertram • Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|