|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the magazine story.|
Percy works in the yard and although he works hard, he can also be very cheeky and often plays jokes. One day, Percy is feeling particularly cheeky, and startles Gordon by telling him his train is ready. Gordon immediately thinks he is running late, only for Percy to reveal a line of dirty trucks. Gordon is cross and tries to think of a way to get back at him.
Percy then goes to James, and tells him that the Fat Controller has sent a message for James to not leave the shed until he comes to see him. James is delighted, thinking the Fat Controller wants him to pull a special and refuses to leave when his driver and fireman try to take him out. As a result, the other engines have to do James' work as well as their own. Finally, an engine inspector arrives and tells James to move. James tells him about the message the Fat Controller sent. The inspector points out the Fat Controller could not have sent a message as he is away. James is furious and quickly leaves to find Percy, but Percy had decided to make himself scarce. When the Fat Controller returns, he tells both engines off for causing trouble.
Sometime later, Percy boasts to Gordon and James that the Fat Controller has sent him to take trucks to Thomas' junction, thinking he was chosen because he is a really useful engine. James, however, thinks it was probably just to keep him out of the way. The big engines then realise that they have a chance to give Percy a dose of his own medicine and claim they were talking about being careful with the signals at the junction, especially "backing signals". Percy, keen to show off, claims that he knows all about signals, but worries as he has never heard of a backing signal before.
Soon, Percy arrives at a signal set to danger. However, when its arm moves up instead of down, Percy, having never seen anything like it before, guesses that it is a backing signal, and begins reversing. Percy's driver is shocked and quickly stops him, but Percy insists that it is a backing signal, and tells him what Gordon and James had said. After the driver tells him the truth, Percy is eager to leave before he is seen, but before he can, Gordon goes past and sees that Percy fell for the trick. Percy quickly and quietly finishes his work.
That night in the sheds, Gordon and James talk about signals; while they think it is funny, Percy is less than impressed.
- Thomas (does not speak)
- Sir Topham Hatt (does not speak)
- Edward (cameo)
- Henry (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (deleted scene)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Knapford Yards
- Ffarquhar Sheds
- The Ffarquhar Stationmaster's House
- Suddery Castle
- The Carriage Shed
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book Percy the Small Engine.
- In the restored version, in the scene when Sir Topham Hatt was cross with James and Percy, the close-up of Percy sad is cut off.
- Stock footage from Coal is used.
- In a deleted scene, it is shown that Thomas also had to do James' work when Percy told him to stay in the shed.
- A first season-styled truck can be seen behind James in the shed.
- Percy's left cylinder is hanging off throughout most of the episode.
- When Gordon says "James and I were just speaking about signals at the junction!" to Percy, James' face is loose.
- In the close-up of Percy's wheels when he reverses from the signal, a wire is visible.
- When Percy goes under the pedestrian bridge at Elsbridge, the reflection of a studio member or camera is visible in the shiny part.
- The signal which Percy stops at is not the sort that is meant to point upwards.
- The wire used to change the signal is visible.
- Because stock footage is used, the driver is in Henry's cab.
- Gordon's eyes are wonky throughout the episode.
- When Percy pulls away from Gordon at the beginning, the coal in his second truck is lifted.
- Magazine stories - Percy and the Signal
- My Thomas Story Library - Percy (discontinued)
- Engine Adventures - Percy
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Percy og Signalet||Percy and the Signal|
|Spanish||Percy y la Señal||Percy and the Signal|
|Welsh||Pyrsi a'r Signal||Percy and the Signal|
|Japanese||パーシーとしんごう||Percy and the Signal|
|German||Percy und das Signal||Percy and the Signal|
|Finnish||Pekka ja Opastemerkki||Percy and the Signal|
|Croatian||Pero i Signal||Percy and the Signal|
|French||Pierre et le Signal||Percy and the Signal|
|Dutch||Percy en het sein||Percy and the Signal|
|Portuguese||Percy e o sinal||Percy and the Signal|
|Italian||Percy e il Segnale||Percy and the Signal|
|Slovenian||Poldi in signal||Percy and the Signal|
|Russian||Перси и симофор||Percy and the Semaphore|
|Ukrainian||Персі і сигнали||Percy and the Signals|
|Danish||Percy og Signalet||Percy and the Signal|
|Chinese||培西和信号||Percy and the Signal|
|Korean||장난 꾸러기퍼시||Naughty Percy|
|Romanian||Percy şi Semnalul||Percy and the Signals|
|Swedish||Percy och Signalen||Percy and the Signal|
|Hungarian||Percy és a Tolatójelzés||Percy and the Reversing Alarm|
|Slovak||Percy a signál||Percy and the Signals|
|Czech||Percy a signal||Percy and the Signal|
|Serbian||Persi i znak||Percy and the Sign|
|Polish||Piotrek i Semafor||Percy and the Semaphore|
|Thai||เพอร์ซีชอบแกล้งคนอื่นเลยโดนบ้าง||Percy Pretend Like Someone Else I Know|
Home Media Releases