Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Buzz Book, the My First Thomas book, the DVD, or the magazine story.|
Percy and Harold, retitled Percy Proves a Point in American releases, is the ninth episode of the second season. In the US, it aired on the Shining Time Station episodes Just Wild about Harry's Workshop in 1989 Field Day in 1991 and aired on the last airing of Storytime with Thomas on Fox Family.
Percy has been enjoying working at the new harbour on Thomas' Branch Line. He likes the branch line work rather than shunting for the mainline engines at the big station. Along the branch line is an airfield and Percy would hear the planes flying overhead. The loudest though is a helicopter. Percy complains about the noise it would make.
One day Percy stops with his train at the airfield. The helicopter is there and they begin by introducing each other. The helicopter's name is Harold and it is not long before the two start trading insults. When they finish, Harold flies away and Percy sets off for the quarry. Percy finds Toby and vented off his feelings about Harold. Afterwards, he collects his trucks and heads back to the harbour.
On Percy's trip back to the harbour, they hear Harold's unmistakable buzzing. Percy's crew encourage the two to race each other. Percy has never been allowed to go that fast before. The trucks wailed and beg Percy to stop, but it is no use. They have to slow down when they reach the wharf and Percy is sure that they had lost the race. But when the fireman climbs onto the roof of the cab, he can see Harold still looking for a place to land.
In celebration of Percy's victory, the fireman sing a little song about the race, which Percy loves, especially the last line.
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Percy the Small Engine.
- Stock footage from Coal is used - it's easy to tell from the shot of Percy's driver leaning out of the cab during the race that it is Henry's cab.
- CITV host, Tommy Boyd, recalls this as his first Thomas episode.
- In the Japanese version, the music is omitted during Percy's Victory Song.
- Events of this episode were mentioned and recreated for CGI in the twentieth season episode Letters to Santa.
- In the first shot, Percy pushes a box close to the rails, his eyes are wonky, and trucks throughout his train bounce slightly.
- After Thomas says "Well done, Percy! The Fat Controller is very pleased with us!" the camera then cuts to Percy. This is the same shot as the one of the fireman singing; look up at Percy's cab and you can see the fireman's legs.
- When the narrator says, "An airfield was close by," Thomas' face moves slightly. The same thing happens with Percy's face, when he says "Stupid thing! Why can't it go and buzz somewhere else?"
- The wind sock beside Harold should have been blown by his rotors when he took off.
- In the close-up of Percy complaining to Toby about Harold, Percy's eyes look wonky.
- When Percy's driver says "Well I'll be a ding dong dang," the stock footage shows the driver yelling out of Henry's cab from Whistles and Sneezes.
- When Percy says "Yes! Let's," you can see through his left eye.
- When Percy gains speed, his back wheel derails.
- Percy's trucks gained faces when they say "We don't want to, we don't want to."
- In the aerial shot of Harold flying alongside Percy, a truck vanishes from Percy's train.
- When Harold flies over the valley, he clips a tree.
- When Percy says "Oh, dear! I'm sure we've lost!" his eyes are wonky.
- After Percy's fireman's song, his right eye (viewer's left) pops out of the face mask slightly.
- Throughout the episode, Percy's left (viewer's right) cylinder is loose.
- Percy only has half of his screw-link coupling.
- Since stock footage is used, Percy's fireman changes appearance at the Wharf.
- A rare picture of Percy at the quarry shows a gear visible between his left driving wheels.
- Buzz Books - Percy and Harold
- My Thomas Story Library - Harold
- Magazine stories - Percy and Harold
- Ladybird Books - Percy and Harold/Percy Takes the Plunge
- Engine Adventures - Harold (discontinued)
In Other Languages
|Spanish||Percy y Harold / Percy Aclara las Cosas||Percy and Harold / Percy Clears Up Things|
|Italian||La locomotiva e l'elicottero||The Locomotive and the Helicopter|
|Portuguese||Percy e Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Welsh||Prysi a Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Norwegian||Percy og Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Japanese||パーシーとハロルド||Percy and Harold|
|German||Percy und Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Slovenian||Poldi in Dolfe||Percy and Harold|
|Dutch||Percy en Harold||Percy and Harold|
|French||Pierre et Herbert||Percy and Harold|
|Croatian||Pero i Hari||Percy and Harold|
|Finnish||Pekka ja Harald||Percy and Harold|
|Hungarian||Percy és Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Chinese||培西和哈罗德||Percy and Harold|
|Korean||퍼시와 헤롤드의 경주||Percy and Harold's Race|
|Russian||Паровоз и вертолет||The Locomotive and the Helicopter|
|Ukrainian||Персі і Гарольд||Percy and Harold|
|Romanian||Percy şi Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Slovak||Percy a Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Czech||Percy a Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Swedish||Percy och Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Serbian||Persi i Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Polish||Piotrek i Harold||Percy and Harold|
|Danish||Percy og Harald||Percy and Harold|
|Thai||เพอร์ซีแข่งกับเฮลิคอปเตอร์||Percy Race With a Helicopter|
Home Media Releases