|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the Story Library book, the Railway Series book, the 1997 magazine story, the 2002 magazine story, the My First Railway Library book or the Random House book.|
Percy was most likely built by Avonside and had gone through a subsequent rebuild in the years preceding his second-hand sale to the North Western Railway. He is said to have been found wearing Hunslet parts, according to workers at Crovan's Gate.
When Gordon, James, and Henry went on strike in protest of the extra work they had to do since Thomas left to run his branch line, the Fat Controller decided that the railway needed another tank engine. Going to the engine workshop, the Fat Controller saw a green saddletank and when the engine confirmed he was willing to work hard, the Fat Controller bought him and named him Percy. Bringing him back to Sodor, Percy was charged with running the branch line while Thomas ran the Main Line with Edward and was allowed to stay after the big engines surrendered and returned to work. At first, Percy liked to annoy the big engines. Percy was later waiting at Tidmouth, but forgot to whistle to the signalman, and thus was startled when Gordon came running towards him with the express. Gordon managed to stop in time, but Percy was so frightened, he ran away, and ended up stuck in a sandbank. He was rescued by Gordon and took up the duty of station pilot at Tidmouth.
Percy was still a cheeky engine and often liked to play jokes on Gordon and James, but one day the other engines got their revenge when Percy failed to recognise a "backing signal". After this, Percy was subject to bullying from the big engines until Duck arrived and helped Percy to put the big engines in their place, although Percy still received a reprimand from the Fat Controller for it.
Writing in The Thomas the Tank Engine Man, Brian Sibley described Percy as "one of the most engaging engines in the shed, with his slightly roly-poly appearance and a look of wide-eyed innocence". As the television series has progressed, Percy has been dumbed-down in order to teach viewers difficult words: he would say "dingy-fried" where anyone else would say "dignified". He is also shown to make silly mistakes, but then fix them upon realizing what he has done before further damage is caused.
Percy is incredibly accident-prone and holds the dubious record of the most accidents in one season - five, in the second season - crashing into some buffers, falling into the sea, being pushed onto a brakevan, colliding with a cart, and being hit by a falling crate of treacle. So far, his silliest accident yet was in the sixth season, when he slipped on oily rails, crashed through the chocolate factory, and emerged covered in chocolate. Despite this, he is always tries to do his best, learn from his mistakes, and get his jobs done--a loyalty which Sir Topham Hatt has praised him for on several occasions.
Since the second season, Percy has had a small rivalry with Harold, stemming from their race. However, they are always willing to help each other when in trouble.
He also had held a grudge from the big engines about their tricking him into misinterpreting a signal, but silenced this with some help from Duck. This shows that, when nonsense goes too far, Percy will not stand for it and seek help to settle the matter for good, even if he faces reprimanding from Sir Topham Hatt for doing it.
Percy is primarily based on an Avonside 0-4-0ST with the body of GWR 1340 Trojan, the bunker of GWR 1361, Hunslet underframes and valve gear, a smokebox protruding from his saddletank, external cylinders and motion, and sandboxes underneath the tanks on his footplate.
Modifications made to Percy's shape include the angled smokebox supports and the cab being cut down slightly from the back for the bunker.
Percy is painted NWR green with NWR red-and-yellow lining and a "6" painted on his bunker sides in yellow.
In the Railway Series, he carries two builder's plates, one on either side of his cab.
The Reverend W. Awdry and C. Reginald Dalby did not get along very well. Awdry considered Dalby's drawings "toy-like"; this relationship was worsened by the creation of Percy, who was depicted as an Avonside 0-4-0ST/GWR 1340 Trojan with a bunker.
When Percy the Small Engine was published, Awdry wrote to Dalby, criticising his illustrations and claiming Percy resembled "a green caterpillar with red stripes". This was too much for Dalby and he promptly resigned. However, the insult was not forgotten: Thomas called Percy "a green caterpillar with red stripes" in Tramway Engines as well as the televised episode Woolly Bear.
It is debated as to what year Percy arrived. The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways states that Percy was made the station pilot at Tidmouth in 1949, somewhat implying that he arrived on Sodor in that year. However, Henry is said to have been rebuilt in 1935 and Percy makes several appearances in the presence of the pre-rebuild Henry, suggesting that either Henry was rebuilt later on or that Percy arrived before 1935. A post on SiF states that Christopher Awdry affirmed the arrival date in The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways to be incorrect and that Percy came to Sodor before 1935.
- Michael Angelis (Thomas and the Magic Railroad; original workprints only)
- Linda Ballantyne (Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Martin Sherman (US; Hero of the Rails - eighteenth season)
- Christopher Ragland (US; nineteenth season onwards)
- Chisato Nakajima (Japan; first-eighth seasons)
- Chie Kōjiro (Japan; Calling All Engines! onwards)
- Anders Sundstedt (Norway; Hero of the Rails - seventeenth season, excluding King of the Railway)
- Erik Skjøld (Norway; King of the Railway onwards, excluding the seventeenth season)
- Tony Marot (France; eighth season onwards)
- Mattia Nissolino (Italy)
- Eduardo Garza (Mexico; Thomas and the Magic Railroad; TV Version)
- Javier Olguín (Mexico; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Robin Brosch (Germany)
- Grzegorz Drojewski (Poland)
- Jarosław Domin (Poland; Samson at Your Service only)
- Reinder van der Naalt (The Netherlands)
- Yehonatan Magon (Israel)
- Troells Toya (Denmark)
- Bruno Marçal (Brazil; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- María Rubio (Spain)
- From the eighth through twelfth seasons, Percy's cab windows were blacked out.
- Two of Percy's models are currently on display: one in Canada at Nitrogen Studios, and the other in Japan.
- Percy' large scale model used for the spin-off series, The Pack, is currently on display in Japan at Thomas Land.
- In Jack and the Sodor Construction Co., Percy's dome is green and the steps up to his foot plate are red.
- According to Abi Grant on her website, Percy is her favourite character.
- Percy's whistle sound is actually Edward's higher pitched.
- In the fifth season, Percy's lamp kept appearing and disappearing. As of Thomas and the Magic Railroad, Percy's lamp became permanent.
- With the switch to full CGI, Percy lost the counterweights on his wheels.
- "Do you know what?" asked Percy.
- "What?" grunted Gordon.
- "Do you know what?"
- "Silly," said Gordon crossly, "Of course I don't know what, if you don't tell me what 'what' is."
- A conversation between Percy and Gordon, "Percy the Small Engine"
- "Nobody listens to me now! They think i'm a silly little engine, and order me about. I'll show them."
- Percy, "Percy the Small Engine"
- "Wheeeeeeeeeeesh!" Percy gave his ghostly whistle. "Don't be frightened, Thomas," he laughed, "it's only me!"
- "Your ugly fizz is enough to frighten anyone," said Thomas crossly. "You're like..."
- "Ugly indeed! I'm..."
- "A green caterpillar with red stripes," continued Thomas firmly. "You crawl like one too."
- "I don't."
- "Who's been late every afternoon this week?"
- "It's the hay."
- "I can't help that," said Thomas. "Time's time, and the Fat Controller relies on me to keep it. I can't if you crawl in the hay 'til all hours."
- An argument between Percy and Thomas, Tramway Engines
- "Harold told me you were a ..... uh wizard. He says he could beat you at somethings but not at being a submarine. I don't know what you two get up to sometimes but I do know you are a really, useful engine." - Sir Topham Hat, after Percy taking a swim in Percy's Promise
- "I can't see any," said Percy. "Where are they?"
- "Any what?" said Gordon.
- "Ideas above the station - the sky's empty."
- "Like your smokebox, Percy!" laughed James.
- ERTL (normal, Gold Rail, and metallic; discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal, silver, metallic, talking, early engineers, roll and whistle and in three-packs)
- Take Along (normal, metallic, and lights and sounds; discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal, pull back, and talking)
- My First Thomas (normal and talking)
- Motor Road and Rail (normal, talking, and chocolate-covered; discontinued outside Asia)
- TrackMaster (normal, talking, greatest moments, and RC)
- Bachmann (HO and large scale)
- Woody Capsule Series
- Trading Cards
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (normal and with Santa hat; discontinued)
- Departing Now (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Capsule Collection
- Pocket Fantasy (Discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- LEGO Duplo (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Meccano (discontinued)
- Around Town with Thomas
- Discover Junction
- Diablock (large and mini)
- Boss (normal and pullback; discontinued)
- New Block
- Collectible Railway
- Motorized Railway
- Push Along
- Pullback Racers
- Padlock and Key
- Micro Rubber Engines
- Pull 'n' Spin
- Pico Pico
- Interactive Learning Railway
- Minis (classic, metallic, spooky, dino, advent calendar, warriors, twist-n-turn stunt set, and DC super friends)
- Bath Toys
- Switch-On Keychains (normal and chocolate covered)
- MV Sports (in figure of 8 set; discontinued)
- Pre-Cut Model Engine Books (with Clarabel; discontinued; re-released separately; re-discontinued)
- Big Buddy (discontinued)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engines • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Glynn • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Flynn • Winston • Stafford|