Nancy, the guard's daughter, has just finished polishing Skarloey while reminding him that Rheneas is coming home. Skarloey asks Nancy to polish him again. Duncan wants a polish too, but Nancy does not have time because she has to help The Refreshment Lady with the passengers. Duncan is very cross and complains about Peter Sam getting a special funnel, Sir Handel getting special wheels and passengers getting refreshments while he does not even get polished.
His driver then tells him that one of Skarloey's coaches has come off the rails and they are to help clear the mess and Duncan sulks about all the extra work. Duncan brings workmen to get the coach back on the rails and he has to take the passengers home. Duncan makes the journey back very difficult, so his driver decides to stop to build up steam, but Duncan does not try, accusing his driver that he does not care enough about him. Finally, they start off again, but Duncan loses his patience and rudely stalls on the viaduct. He refuses to go on and stays put. Skarloey pulls him home, with the passengers cross and telling everyone what a bad railway it is.
That evening, The Fat Controller scolds Duncan, telling him that "no passengers means no polish." And Duncan retorts under his breath that "no polish means no passengers," but however still has a lot to learn.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Rheneas (does not speak)
- Refreshment Lady (does not speak)
- Thomas (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Jeremiah Jobling (cameo)
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Sir Handel (mentioned)
- Peter Sam (mentioned)
- Crovan's Gate
- Lakeside Bridge
- Lakeside Junction
- Sodor Castle
- Rheneas Viaduct
- Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds
- The Mountain Line
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Gallant Old Engine.
- Nancy's rag is a piece of blu-tak.
- This episode marks Nancy's only speaking role to date, and the only time in the series that she is referred to by name.
- Stock footage from A Bad Day for Sir Handel is used.
- When the passengers are complaining, one of them can be heard saying "We're losing money!"
- In the close-up of Duncan complaining about not being polished at the beginning, his face moves. In the same shot, a hair or piece of wire can be seen behind Skarloey.
- In Skarloey's flashback, Skarloey has Duncan's whistle sound and Rheneas has Sir Handel's whistle sound.
- In the picture from the former, Duncan was wearing his normal face, while his reflection shows him wearing his angry face.
- After Duncan takes away Skarloey's train, the brake van moves from the front of the train to the back.
- When Duncan passes through Crovan's Gate, he has a different whistle sound.
- Rheneas is seen in the sheds at the end of the episode, but he's suppose to be at works.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||Pasajeros y Lustres||Passengers and Polishes|
|German||Auf Hochglanz für die Passagiere||To a Shine for the Passengers|
|Norwegian||Pomp og prakt||Glory and Gaudiness|
|Japanese||ボディーをみがいて||Polish a Body|
|Dutch||Passagiers en Poetsen||Passengers and Polish|
|Czech||Cestující a leštidla||Passengers and Polish|
|Finnish||Matkustajat ja kiillotukset||Passengers and Polish|
|Polish||Pasażerowie i Polerowanie||Passengers and Polishing|
|Italian||Niente Lucidatura per Duncan||No Polish for Duncan|
|Welsh||Dim Teithiwr, Dim Polish||No Passengers, No Polish|
|Hungarian||Duncan duzzog||Duncan Sulks|
|Slovenian||Potniki in loščilo||Passengers and Polish|
|Chinese||乘客和擦光油||Passengers and Rub Varnished|
|Romanian||Pasageri și Lustruiri||Passengers and Polishing|
|Slovak||Cestujúci a Policajt||Passengers and Policemen|
|Danish||Passagerer og Polering||Passengers and Polishing|
|Russian||Пассажиры и полировка||Passengers and Polishing|
|Ukrainian||Пасажири i начищання||Passengers and Grinding|
|Swedish||Passagerare och Polering||Passengers and Polishing|
|Greek||Οι επιβάτες και στίλβωσης||Passengers and Polishing|
|Thai||ดันแคนเกเรหนัก||Duncan Unruly Heavy|
|Brazilian Portuguese||O Invejoso||The Envious|
|Korean||심통대장, 덩컨||In General, Duncan|