Oliver and his brake van Toad are enjoying their work in the big yard. However, Oliver was starting to miss the longer runs. Toad suggests talking to Sir Topham Hatt, but Oliver decides to keep quiet. As time went on, Oliver became more unhappy. His mood and the trucks' behaviour lead to an accident in the turntable. Sir Topham Hatt transfers Oliver to the nightly mail train route so that he can clear his smokebox.
The new job cheers Oliver up as he made good time on his first run, until he stops to collect mail from Harold. Harold is late due to mechanical problems, which annoys Oliver. Trying to make up speed, he sees a red signal. He didn't realise that the signalman had dozed off waiting for them and forgot to change the points. After whistling several times, Oliver and his crew decide to proceed with caution and find out what the problem is at the signal box. Unknowingly, they are switched down an old branch line. The fireman points out that they are running low on water and, after passing an old station, they crash into a shed.
A concerned Sir Topham Hatt sends out a search party the next morning. They find Oliver and his crew safe and sound. Sir Topham Hatt knows the accident was not Oliver's fault. While chatting, Sir Topham Hatt notices an abandoned house nearby. He goes to inspect it and, when he returns to Oliver, he thanks him for finding the new house. He announces his plans for making it a tea house, where visitors can have refreshments.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Henry (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Mavis (cameo)
- Bulstrode (faceless; cameo)
- Duke (portrait; cameo)
- Percy (mentioned)
- Pre-filmed footage from Sir Topham Hatt's Holiday and either alternative or edited stock footage from Bye George! are used.
- Stock footage from Put Upon Percy is used. Footage from the episode isn't cut properly, as the truck with S.C. Ruffey's face can be seen in the mine.
- When Oliver first passes the boats and barges with the post train, to the far left, Bulstrode's model without his face or eye mechanism can be seen.
- The picture of Duke from Bulldog is in the signal box.
- The yard Oliver is in at the beginning of the episode is the Tidmouth Sheds set extensively redressed.
- The old station building is the same one seen in Toby's Discovery.
- An image implies that Henry and James were intended to have larger roles.
- When Oliver bumps the trucks, they are facing him, but when they crash into the turntable, they are facing the other way.
- When Oliver goes along the coastal track, his last van bounces.
- In a deleted scene, Henry's tender does not have coal in it.
- As Oliver is waiting for Harold, Henry passes with some vans, then as Oliver is talking to Harold, James passes through with exactly the same line of vans Henry was pulling.
- The track arrangements at Oliver's shed changes between the day and night sequences.
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Olivers oppdagelse||Oliver's Discovery|
|German||Olivers Entdeckung||Oliver's Discovery|
|Italian||La scoperta di Oliver||The Discovery of Oliver|
|Japanese||オリバーのはっけん||The Discovery of Oliver|
|Hungarian||Oliver a felfedező||Oliver the Explorer|
|Welsh||Rhywbeth diddorol||Something Interesting|
|Dutch||Wat Oliver vond||What Oliver Found|
|Slovenian||Oliverjeva najdba||Oliver's Discovery|
|Korean||우울한 올리버||Gloomy Oliver|
|Romanian||Descoperirea lui Oliver||Oliver's Discovery|
|Danish||Olivers Fund||Oliver Finds|
|Slovak||Oliverov Objav||Oliver's Discovery|
|Polish||Odkrycie Olka||Oliver's Discovery|
|Russian||Находка Оливера||Finding Oliver|
|Swedish||Olivers fynd||Oliver Finds|
|Thai||โอลิเวอร์ได้พบสิ่งที่มีประโยชน์||Oliver Founds Something Useful|