Norman, nicknamed Norm, is an orange-red diesel. He has a brother named Dennis.
Norman was one of the diesels who took over the Sodor Steamworks. He later laughed at Flynn for not being able to rescue Thomas. Norman told Percy that Sidney had been on his hoist for two years and was there when he was given his new wheels. He also offered Thomas a place to sleep at the Dieselworks when the turntable at Tidmouth Sheds was frozen.
When The Great Railway Show was heard by the other engines, he alongside Edward and Stanley asked Sir Topham Hatt if they'll be picked, but they weren't picked. Norman was later involved in an accident with Thomas, resulting in the tank engine being unable to compete in The Great Railway Show.
Norman looks like his twin Dennis, but he is a much kinder diesel engine. He wants to be liked by all the engines, whether they be steam or diesel engines. So he does his part at the Sodor Dieselworks and follows all of his orders. However, poor Norman often breaks down and he does not like that. Unlike Dennis, who is lazy, if Norman were fixed properly he would show what a Really Useful Engine he can be. He is also willing to help another engine in trouble.
Norman is based on the Bulleid Diesel prototype, No. 11001. Dennis is also based on this engine.
Norman is painted orange-red with yellow lining and a dark grey roof.
- Kerry Shale (UK/US; Day of the Diesels - fifteenth season)
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; seventeenth season onwards)
- Nobuaki Kanemitsu (Japan; seventeenth season only)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto (Japan; twentieth season onwards)
- Bernard Demory (France and French speaking Canada)
- Paweł Galia (Poland)
- Øyvind Borgemoen Lyse (Norway; seventeenth season only)
- Peter Weis (Germany; seventeenth season onwards, excluding The Frozen Turntable)
- Juan Alfonso Carralero (Latin America; seventeenth season onwards)
- Fernando Castro (Spain)
- Samuel Harjanne (Finland; Day of the Diesels only)
- Despite Norman's nickname being "Norm", he has been consistently referred to by his full name rather than his nickname. He shares this dilemma with Paxton and Sidney.
- Norman's transmission wheel changes from red to black in the seventeenth season.
- Norman is the first character to have a unibrow.
- Norman shares the same horn sound as Dart.
- Wooden Railway (discontinued; cancelled 2013 re-release)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued; cancelled 2013 re-release)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Glynn • Ryan • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Flynn • Winston • Stafford •|