- “You three are supposed to be a team. Remember, there is no 'I' in team!”
- ―the Fat Controller to Annie and Clarabel
The Island of Sodor is busier than ever and everyone at Knapford is working harder than ever before. The Fat Controller calls all of his hardworking engines "excellent" and encourages them to carry on with the good work. The engines are all thrilled to hear this. Annie and Clarabel, on the other hand, are not at all happy; they are working hard too, but they are never praised for their effort. The carriages come up with a plan.
Soon, it is time for Thomas to depart. The passengers clamber into Annie and Clarabel and Thomas pulls out of the platform. Thomas is surprised by how light his load is, but carries on regardless. Little did Thomas know that Annie and Clarabel had uncoupled themselves. Poor Thomas keeps steaming on.
The Fat Controller is at Knapford helping the passengers find their trains. Suddenly, he notices that Annie and Clarabel are still stood at the platform. The coaches explain what they have done and the Fat Controller shakes his head and reminds them that there is no 'I' in team. Now, Annie and Clarabel feel awful; they know that Thomas cannot be really useful without them.
Meanwhile, Thomas receives a signal telling him to wait in a siding for Annie and Clarabel. Soon, the two coaches arrive with James. Thomas still believes everything is his fault and feels guilty. Annie and Clarabel confess their trick. Thomas agrees to thank his carriages more often in the future. They all thank James for his help and set off with their passengers.
- Most of the images are taken from the eighteenth season episodes, Not So Slow Coaches and Thomas and the Emergency Cable.
- This story contains elements from the previous magazine story Really Useful Coaches and the first season episode, Thomas' Train.
- The speech marks are missing at the end of Thomas' sentence: "Perhaps this journey won't be so bad after all".