Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the Story Library book.|
Neville is a black tender engine.
The engines did not like Neville at first. Although he was kind and friendly, Neville had the misfortune of looking to be friends with the diesels. Thomas saw him with 'Arry and Bert and thought that he was friends with them, which caused a rumour to spread that he was planning to bump the steam engines. Luckily, the rumour was rectified and Thomas befriended Neville after rescuing him from a broken bridge.
Neville is a steam engine, whose square body may cause others to look at him as having diesel-like qualities. Upon his arrival, after being seen with 'Arry and Bert, who were actually teasing him, Neville was the topic of a rumour regarding him being friends with the diesels and being horrid to steam engines, despite his jolly greetings to the engines. Luckily, the rumours were quickly seen for what they were and Neville's true personality was allowed to shine through. Neville is gentlemanly, highly enthusiastic, and kind, if a little naive. Neville never holds a grudge, but can be easily hurt by unkind comments or not being accepted by others who judge him only by his appearance. Otherwise, he is bubbly, ready to pull together, and happy to make new friends.
According to Jamie Thomason, he describes Neville as being similar to Thomas, as he wants to be really useful.
Neville is an SR Bulleid Q1 locomotive, which were often referred to as "ugly ducklings". The specific engine Neville is based on (BR no. 33010, originally C10) was scrapped in 1964. Unlike his prototype, however, Neville is missing the crankshaft that connects to the front of his siderods. First of class No. C1/33001 is the only Q1 preserved, at the National Railway Museum.
Neville is painted in British Railways' unlined black livery without the BR logo. He has the number "33010" painted on the sides of his cab in white.
- In some descriptions of Thomas and the New Engine, Neville is described as actually being a diesel.
- In the Story Library book, magazine stories and merchandise lines, bar his TrackMaster model, Neville is incorrectly depicted with spoked driving wheels. His prototype, the Bulleid Q1s were built with "Bulleid-Firth-Brown" driving wheels.
- Neville's whistle sound is one half-step higher in pitch than Oliver's from the third season, which is actually Gordon's whistle at a higher pitch. It was reused later in the series for the Flying Scotsman's whistle.
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued normal and metallic)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- My First Thomas
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up (Japan only)
- Switch-On Keychains
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Glynn • Ryan • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Flynn • Winston • Stafford •