|This article is about the driver. You may be looking for the diesel engine.|
Mr. Gilbert Perkins, also referred to as Driver Perkins (played by Ben Forster), is a driver on Sodor. Driver Perkins helps out Sir Topham Hatt, all of Sodor's engines and the drivers. He has featured on several DVDs since 2010. He now presents the Down at the Station segments since the seventeenth season under the title Mr. Perkins' Railway.
Common Room Segments (DVD) 2010 - 2013
Mr. Perkins' Railway Segments
Similar to the Down at the Station segments, Mr. Perkins explains the workings of real life railways.
- Mr. Perkins' Sounds of The Railway - Mr. Perkins learns all about different sounds on a railway. (The Thomas Way US DVD)
- Mr. Perkins learns how steam locomotives make their steam. (Wild Water Rescue and Other Engine Adventures DVD)
- Mr. Perkins' Who Works on The Railway? - Mr. Perkins learns about important people on a railway.
- Mr. Perkins' Railway Maintenance - Mr. Perkins learns how engines are fixed in the workshop.
- Mr. Perkins' Different Sizes - Mr. Perkins learns about standard and narrow gauge tracks.
- Mr. Perkins learns what the engines do at the end of the day.
- Mr. Perkins' Miniature Railway - Mr. Perkins learns about minimum gauge engines.
- Mr. Perkins learns how engines get cleaned.
- Mr. Perkins learns about different types of engines and trains. (Whale of a Tale and Other Sodor Adventures; US)
- Mr. Perkins learns what happens to an engine when it reaches the end of the line.
- Mr. Perkins' How Steam Engines Use Coal - Mr. Perkins learns how steam locomotives use coal.
- Mr. Perkins learns how signals and points are used on the railway.
- Mr. Perkins learns how there are different types of diesel engines and how they work.
Mr. Perkins' Storytime Segments
- The Flying Kipper - (Santa's Little Engine DVD; US/UK/AUS)
- Trucks! - (The Thomas Way DVD; UK, Spills and Thrills DVD; US)
- Thomas and Gordon - (Spills and Thrills DVD; UK, Wild Water Rescue and Other Engine Adventures; US)
- Pop Goes the Diesel - (Trouble on the Tracks DVD; UK/US/AUS)
- Thomas and the Breakdown Train - (Tale of the Brave DVD; UK/AUS, Engines to the Rescue DVD; US)
- A Scarf for Percy - (The Christmas Engines DVD; US)
- Thomas Goes Fishing - (Signals Crossed DVD; US, The Adventure Begins Television Broadcast; US)
- Edward and Gordon - (Dinos and Discoveries DVD; US/UK/AUS)
- Toby's Tightrope - (Trouble on the Tracks DVD; UK/AUS, Whale of a Tale and Other Sodor Adventures DVD; US)
- Gordon Goes Foreign - (Thomas' YouTube World Tour)
- Thomas' Train - (Railway Mischief DVD; UK)
- Henry and the Elephant - (Thomas' YouTube World Tour)
- Thomas Comes to Breakfast - (Thomas' YouTube World Tour)
- Thomas in Trouble - (Thomas' YouTube World Tour)
Mr. Perkins' Postcard Segments
Mr. Perkins talk about different Sudrian locations.
- Ulfstead Castle - (Santa's Little Engine DVD; US/UK/AUS)
- Blue Mountain Quarry - (The Thomas Way DVD; UK, Spills and Thrills; US)
- Knapford Station - (Spills and Thrills DVD; UK, Wild Water Rescue and Other Engine Adventures DVD; US)
- The Dieselworks - (Trouble on the Tracks DVD; UK/US/AUS)
- The Steamworks - (Tale of the Brave DVD; UK/AUS, Engines to the Rescue DVD; US)
- Tidmouth Sheds - (The Christmas Engines DVD; US)
- Bridges - (Signals Crossed DVD; US, The Adventure Begins Television Broadcast; US)
- Shunting Yards - (Dinos and Discoveries DVD; US/UK/AUS)
- Ffarquhar Quarry - (Trouble on the Tracks DVD; UK/AUS, Whale of a Tale and Other Sodor Adventures; US)
- Brendam Docks - (Railway Mischief DVD; UK)
- The segments are produced by Scruffy Dog Media and directed by John Gilluley.
- The common room segments were filmed in a studio in Altrincham, whilst the latest are currently filmed at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, the South Tynedale Railway and the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.
- The storytime segments are filmed inside the South Tynedale's signal box at Alston station, though the Alston sign is removed in order to have the stories "set" on Sodor.
- On the segment Mr. Perkins' Parrot, a deleted scene of the Parrot is used on the Animals Aboard! DVD.
- The Mr. Perkins Railway segments are part of the half hour blocks on TV, but although they are credited on the Nick Jr. UK broadcasts, they are cut out.
- A Scarf for Percy is the first Storytime Segment to be based off of its TV Series adaptation rather than its original Railway Series counterpart, possibly due to the latter being shorter than most Railway Series stories.
- The hand-knitted scarf, worn by Perkins in Mr. Perkins' Soccer Match, is preserved by the Top Props preservation group, after it was sold by The Prop Gallery.
- Mr. Perkins has said that he normally drives Thomas and once driven Diesel.
- In Henry and the Elephant, it was revealed he is married to Mrs. Perkins although he does not wear a ring.
Mr Perkins Railway Lesson
- The engine is said to be pulling carriages, yet only one coach is attached.
- The train starts at the small station, yet returns to the same destination, between segments the engine is turned around, at one point the engine crosses over to the station line where it started from, but in the next shot it is back on its main line.
- Although the train set is nearly made up of old Tri-ang Hornby items, the Hornby Power track is shown that powers the layout, which was not introduced by Hornby until 2004.
- Blowing the guard's whistle cannot make the engine move.
- If the train was running on the main line, Mr. Perkins would not have enough time to open the crossing gates, move the car across, then close the gates before the next time the train passes. As he is doing this, the engine can be heard running, but it never approaches the crossing.
Mr Perkins Jumble Sale
- Perkins picked up a cattle wagon for the toy train on display, but refers to it as a coach.
Mr. Perkins' Storytime Segments
- Skarloey appears in one of the new illustrations, but he was away being repaired during this story.
The Flying Kipper
- When Mr. Perkins gets to the bit about the goods train waiting in the siding in the UK version, it is clear to see that it has been dubbed over the US version as when he says "goods train", his lip movements still read "freight train".
Gordon Goes Foreign
- Duck is incorrectly depicted with a 2-6-0 wheel arrangement in the first illustration.
- Henry is painted blue in the first illustration, but is painted green in the second.
- Thomas' headcode changes while going under the bridge and changes back when he reaches the signal box.
Mr. Perkins' Postcards Segments
- Mr. Perkins refers to Stephen as "a Stephenson's Rocket", but there was only one original Rocket in the real world. Stephen previously identified himself as the original Rocket in King of the Railway.