|This article is about the driver. You may be looking for the Diesel engine.|
Mr. Gilbert Perkins, also referred to as Driver Perkins, (played by Ben Forster) is a driver on Sodor. Driver Perkins helps out Sir Topham Hatt, all of Sodor's engines and the drivers. He has featured on several DVDs since 2010. He now presents the Down at the Station segments of the seventeenth season under the title Mr. Perkins' Railway.
Common Room Segments (DVD) 2010 - 2013
Mr. Perkins' Railway Segments
Similar to the Down at the Station segments, Mr. Perkins explains the workings of real life railways.
- Mr. Perkins' Sounds of The Railway - Mr. Perkins learns all about different sounds on a railway. (The Thomas Way US DVD)
- Mr. Perkins learns how steam locomotives make their steam.
- Mr. Perkins' Who Works on The Railway? - Mr. Perkins learns about important people on a railway.
- Mr. Perkins learns how engines are fixed in the workshop.
- Mr. Perkins learns about standard and narrow gauge tracks.
- Mr. Perkins learns what the engines do at the end of the day.
- Mr. Perkins learns about narrow gauge engines.
- Mr. Perkins learns how engines get cleaned.
- Mr. Perkins learns about different types of engines and trains.
- Mr. Perkins learns what happens to an engine when it reaches the end of the line.
- Mr. Perkins learns how steam locomotives use coal.
Mr. Perkins' Storytime Segments
- The Flying Kipper - (Santa's Little Engine DVD; US/UK/AUS)
- Trucks! - (The Thomas Way DVD; UK, Spills and Thrills DVD; US)
- Thomas and Gordon - (Spills and Thrills DVD; UK)
- Pop Goes the Diesel - (Trouble on the Tracks DVD; US)
- Thomas and the Breakdown Train - (Tale of the Brave DVD; UK/AUS, Engines to the Rescue DVD; US)
- A Scarf for Percy (The Christmas Engines DVD; US)
- Thomas Goes Fishing (Signals Crossed DVD; US)
- Edward and Gordon (Dinos and Discoveries DVD; UK)
Mr. Perkins' Postcard Segments
Mr. Perkins talk about different Sudrian locations.
- Ulfstead Castle - (Santa's Little Engine DVD; US/UK/AUS)
- Blue Mountain Quarry - (The Thomas Way DVD; UK, Spills and Thrills; US)
- Knapford Station - (Spills and Thrills DVD; UK)
- The Dieselworks - (Trouble on the Tracks DVD; US)
- The Steamworks - (Tale of the Brave DVD; UK/AUS, Engines to the Rescue DVD; US)
- Tidmouth Sheds - (The Christmas Engines DVD; US)
- Bridges - (Signals Crossed DVD; US)
- Shunting Yards - (Dinos and Discoveries DVD; UK)
- Pedro D'Aguillón Jr. (Mexico)
- The segments are produced by Scruffy Dog Media and directed by John Gilluley.
- The common room segments were filmed in a studio in Altrincham, whilst the latest are currently filmed at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, the South Tynedale Railway and the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.
- The storytime segments are filmed inside the South Tynedale's signal box at Alston station, though the Alston sign is removed in order to have the stories "set" on Sodor.
- On the segment Mr. Perkins' Parrot, a deleted scene of the Parrot is used on the Animals Aboard! DVD.
- The Mr. Perkins Railway segments are part of the half hour blocks on TV, but although they are credited on the Nick Jr. UK broadcasts, they are cut out.
- A Scarf for Percy is the first Storytime Segment to be based off of its TV Series adaption rather than its original Railway Series counterpart.
- The hand-knitted scarf, worn by Perkins in Mr. Perkins' Soccer Match, is preserved by fans Owen Hayward and Christopher Blower, after it was sold by The Prop Gallery.
Mr Perkins Railway Lesson
- The engine is said to be pulling carriages, yet only one coach is attached.
- The train starts at the small station, yet returns to the same destination, between segments the engine is turned around, at one point the engine crosses over to the station line where it started from, but in the next shot it is back on its main line.
- Although the train set is nearly made up of old Tri-ang Hornby items, the Hornby Power track is shown that powers the layout, which was not introduced by Hornby until 2004.
- Blowing the guard's whistle cannot make the engine move.
- If the train was running on the main line, Mr. Perkins would not have enough time to open the crossing gates, move the car across, then close the gates before the next time the train passes. As he is doing this, the engine can be heard running, but it never approaches the crossing.
Mr Perkins Jumble Sale
- Perkins picked up a cattle wagon for the toy train on display, but refers to it as a coach.
Mr. Perkins' Storytime Segments
- Skarloey appears in one of the new illustrations, but he was away being repaired during this story.
The Flying Kipper
- When Mr. Perkins gets to the bit about the goods train waiting in the siding in the UK version, it is clear to see that it has been dubbed over the US version as when he says "goods train", his lip movements still read "freight train".
Mr. Perkins' Postcards Segments
- Mr. Perkins refers to Stephen as "a Stephenson's Rocket", but there was only one original Rocket in the real world. Stephen previously identified himself as the original Rocket in King of the Railway.