|This article is about the Diesel engine. You may be looking for the episode, the Buzz Book, or the Story Library book.|
Mavis is a female Diesel engine who works for the Ffarquhar Quarry Company at Anopha Quarry. Between the sixth and eleventh seasons of the television series, she has worked at Centre Island Quarry. Since the twelfth season, she has worked at the Sodor Slate Quarry.
Mavis was particularly fond of putting the trucks at Anopha Quarry in different places, despite Toby's protests. Toby finally lost patience and left Mavis to her own devices. Mavis, urged by Daisy (Diesel in the television series), started to ignore Toby's advice and ended up looking silly when she got stuck outside Ffarquhar.
Mavis was then forbidden to leave the quarry, but when a thaw increased production at Anopha Quarry, Mavis persuaded the manager to let her go up to the first crossing in order to shunt trucks quicker and formulated a plan to pass the level crossing with help from the trucks. However, the plan backfired when the trucks decided to bump Toby instead, and he ended up being suspended by flimsy rails over a rushing stream and Mavis had to help. Mavis confessed, but the Fat Controller and the Manager were pleased by Mavis' courage and honesty and allowed her occasional trips to Ffarquhar.
In 1987, Mavis was involved in a collision with a lorry and Toby had to do her work while she was absent.
Mavis was arrogant until being brought down to earth after her embarrassing incident at the Ffarquhar crossing. Despite this, Mavis is reliable, honest, hard-working engine, and shows respect for the steam engines. However, unlike most engines, hauling trucks makes her feel important.
From the sixth season onwards, Mavis has matured and acts as a motherly figure to the other engines.
Mavis is a BR Class 04 0-6-0 fitted with additional cowcatchers and sideplates so that she can run near public roads.
Mavis is painted black with hazard stripes on her front and rear. She has her name and "The Ffarquhar Quarry Co. Ltd." written on her sideplates in white.
- Mavis was named after the Reverend W. Awdry's neighbour in Rodborough, Stroud
- Mavis was the last character Wilbert Awdry created before he retired from writing the Railway Series.
- Mavis' name in the French narration of the Classic Series was Murielle.
- Mavis had three different horn sounds during the series run. Her current horn is the same as Diesel's from the fourteenth and fifteenth seasons.
- Since the eighteenth season, Mavis shares the same lamp with Charlie.
- Teresa Gallagher (UK; Hero of the Rails onwards - US; seventeenth season onwards)
- Jules de Jongh (US; Hero of the Rails - Blue Mountain Mystery)
- Marit Berg (Norway; Hero of the Rails - seventeenth season)
- Marianne Westby (Norway; Day of the Diesels onwards, excluding the sixteenth and seventeenth season)
- Nao Nagasawa (Japan; third season only)
- Ryō Horikawa (Japan; fifth season only)
- Yuka Shioyama (Japan; sixth - eighth seasons)
- Kumiko Itō (Japan; Calling All Engines! - thirteenth season)
- Sakura Yoshioka (Japan; fourteenth season onwards)
- Joey Cordevin (Germany)
- Zuzanna Galia (Poland)
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- My First Thomas
- Wind-up Trains
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Bandai (several versions; discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up (Normal and Clear)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks
Toby's an old fusspot!
-Mavis, Tramway Engines, Mavis.
|Other Sudrian railways|
|Bill and Ben • Neil • Sodor and Mainland Railway Numbers 1 and 3 • "Coffee Pots" • Wellsworth and Suddery Railway Tank Engines • Midland Railway Engines • The Little Blue Tank Engine • Mavis|
|Stephen • Timothy • Millie|
|Victor • Sidney • Little Barford • Silver • The Old Tram Car • The Pier Train • The Cable Car • The Dark Green Tank Engine • The Little Blue Engine|