The exact location of the station was quite a mystery until 2014, when a map from a Japanese King of the Railway booklet cleared it up. A map from a Blue Mountain Mystery bonus feature showed it situated in the east of Arlesburgh, but the map probably mistook it for Marthwaite.
- Maithwaite has gone through several changes in the television series:
- In Hero of the Rails and the thirteenth season, Maithwaite was a dark brown colour. From the fourteenth season onwards, it returned to its original beige colour.
- In the fifth season, Maithwaite had one track running through it, but from the sixth season onwards it has had two.
- In the eighteenth season, the sign on the station platform disappeared.
- Toby once said that Maithwaite was his favourite station.
- Maithwaite was once the winner of the Best Dressed Station award.
- Since Hero of the Rails, a poster of Emily at Black Loch from the eighth season episode, Emily's New Route is seen on the side of the station. There is also a poster of the Fishing Village near the front door.
- Maithwaite used to be on display at Nitrogen Studios.
- In the sixth season the station building had an overhang. This is most likely because the station building for Killaban used in Thomas and the Magic Railroad was repainted.
- Tidmouth Bay also reused Maithwaite's building.
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- Hornby (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Wind-up (Japan only)