The Post Train, also known as The Mail Train, is a train consisting of Mail Coaches or Mail Trucks, known as Mail Cars in the US, is used to run a special night train pulled by Thomas or Percy, but in recent seasons, the train is pulled in broad daylight. Since the seventeenth season, however, the train seems to be pulled primarily at night again. Percy is almost always in charge, although other engines take the train on occasion.
Occasionally, the mail is carried on flat trucks.
The mail coaches are based on the General Utility Vans, previously known as "CCT" (covered carriage trucks). These types of vans were designed for carrying parcel goods. The Utility Vans also have this basis.
- From Hero of the Rails onwards, "SODOR MAIL" on the of the coaches is replaced by an envelope with wings.
- Four mail coach models are currently on display at Drayton Manor. One used to be on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- From season 3 to season 5, the mail coaches in the TV series were made out of Tenmille gauge 1 Utility van kits. From season 6 onwards, the mail coaches were scratch built. Their roofs also became slightly larger.
- In the third and fourth seasons, two separate Post Trains were pulled by Thomas and Percy as the load was too heavy for one engine to do the work alone.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (with Pull 'n 'zoom Percy)
- Bachmann (three versions, one in a green livery)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (normal and see-inside)
- Motorized Railway
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Hornby (two versions; discontinued)
- Wind-Up (reintroduced; Japan only)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (with brake van; discontinued)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks