Mail coaches are a type of coach which carries letters and parcels, and is pulled by either Thomas or Percy. They are used at night, but in recent seasons, the coaches are pulled in broad daylight. Since the seventeenth season, however, they seems to be pulled primarily at night again. Percy is almost always in charge, although other engines pull them occasion.
Mail coaches are based on general utility vans, previously known as "CCT" (covered carriage trucks). These types of vans were designed for carrying parcel goods.
Mail coaches are painted red-pink. In the Model Series, they had "SODOR MAIL" on either side, but was changed to an envelope with wings in the CGI Series. They also have dark grey roofs.
- All the mail coaches' models are currently on display at Drayton Manor. One used to be on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- From the third to fifth season, the mail coaches were made out of Tenmille gauge 1 Utility van kits. From the sixth season onwards, they were scratch built.
- In the third and fourth seasons, two separate trains were pulled by Thomas and Percy as the load was too heavy for one engine to do the work alone.
- The mail coaches have gone through a couple modifications over the years:
- Season 6:
- Their roofs became slightly larger.
- Their liveries became slightly darker.
- Hero of the Rails:
- Their "SODOR MAIL" logos were replaced with envelopes with wings.
- Season 6:
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (with Pull 'n 'zoom Percy)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (normal and see-inside)
- Motorized Railway
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Hornby (two versions; discontinued)
- Wind-Up (reintroduced; Japan only)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (with brake van; discontinued)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks