|This article is about 'the vehicles'. You may be looking for 'the episode'.|
The Horrid Lorries, individually referred to as Lorry 1, Lorry 2 and Lorry 3, are three small lorries who were incredibly rude to the engines.
Thomas & Friends
When Percy was late one day, Cranky suggested that a lorry should do his work. True to his word (and delight), three red, incredibly rude lorries arrived the next day. Lorry 2 called Percy a lump of steaming scrap iron. Lorry 1 called Percy a "little green goblin on wheels" and told him he would be scrapped. Lorry 1 also insulted Thomas and James.
At the quarry, Toby encountered Lorry 2, who told Toby that he belonged in a museum and also told him to "toodle off," saying that Toby was not useful. Toby tried to find work at the mill, but Lorry 3 was there already. He said that the three lorries were doing the "slow" engines' work now, while the foreman said that times were changing.
Of course, all three got their comeuppance in due course: Lorry 2 fell off a mountainside (in front of Toby; Percy ironically echoed the "steaming scrap iron" line to him, while Toby brought up the usefulness insult), Lorry 3 broke down after being overloaded with flour and was brought to the docks by Butch and Lorry 1 reversed into the sea. Later, Thomas saw the three lorries and due to the impact of their damage, he nicknamed them "Smashed" (Lorry 2), "Broken" (Lorry 3), and "Sunk" (Lorry 1). The lorries were then sent away, and despite Lorry 2 declaring that they would return, they never do.
The Lorries were arrogant, mean and rude towards the engines. They believed that the railway was inferior to the roadways and also enjoyed teasing the engines for their appearances.
The lorries seem to be based on Foden OG range lorries, which were once a common sight around railway yards.
The Horrid Lorries are painted a brownish-red. Their registration plates are black with white lettering reading "LOR" followed by their respective numbers. They sometimes have grey tarpaulins over their flatbeds.
The lorries have also been seen in several other liveries aside from the standard brownish-red one and have been accompanied by other lorries in other medias:
- In the Thomas Visits the Docks puzzle and an official 65th anniversary board game, Lorry 1 is painted green.
- In the Round the Rails board game, while Lorry 1 is painted red, Lorries 2 and 3 are painted yellow and dark green respectively. There is also a "Lorry 4" painted blue. Each lorry was painted different colours to make them distinguishable from one another.
- Another Horrid Lorry, painted yellow, is seen at the crossing in the book, Thomas and Toby.
- In various magazines and books, the lorries are often seen without their registration plates.
- The Official Website, as well as various magazine articles and file facts, state that the Lorries were "especially built to work at Sodor Construction Company". It is therefore possible that they may have been originally intended to be a part of the Pack.
- A similar looking lorry appeared in the magazine story, The Carnival. However, this Lorry was introduced four months before the fifth season episode, Horrid Lorry, in which the Horrid Lorries made their debut appearances.
- Their engine sounds are shared with Bertie.
- Out of all three lorries, Lorry 1 was the only one to have a majority of the merchandising.
- Each lorry has individually shaped noses and eyebrows. However, there has been several instances in which the lorries share the same style facemasks.
- ERTL (all three; discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (all three; discontinued)
- Take Along (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- My First Thomas (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (all three; discontinued)