|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the magazine story'.|
- “You must slow down and take care!"
"I am taking care! Taking care to finish first!”
- ―Edward and James
Keeping Up with James is the twenty-fifth episode of the ninth season.
James is teamed with Edward to clear a path through the snow to Knapford. Edward can not go fast and James is afraid he will delay him, but cheers up when he finds he can slide at high speeds on the icy rails. James and Edward later collect coal from the coaling plant, and Edward warns James to take care on the icy rails, but to no avail. At first, James slides delighted down Gordon's Hill, but at the flat icy rails, loses control and derails into a snowdrift. Sir Topham Hatt is cross that the two engines were not taking care. James claims this was his idea to finish first to collect the presents train. Sir Topham Hatt gives the job to Edward who is more careful. He warns Edward the train is too heavy, James offers to be Edward's back engine, and Sir Topham Hatt agrees as long as James is careful. The presents train arrives on time, and James feels proud and thanks Edward.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The School Choir (vocalizes)
- Gordon (does not speak)
- Salty (does not speak)
- Thomas (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Toby (cameo)
- Emily (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- A deleted scene shows Thomas passing James and Edward. An alternate angle of the same scene is edited to show Thomas wearing a Day Out with Thomas face.
- Percy's snowplough is Duck's from the sixth season episode, Toby Had a Little Lamb.
- In 2011, Hilary Fortnam expressed her dislike of this episode, saying that her father would be distressed if he saw it. The reason is because with the airing, the term "Christmas" was omitted in favour of "winter holidays."
- Going by production order, this is the twenty-third episode of the ninth season.
- Edward and James' snowploughs become blue and red respectively in the first scene of them in the snow.
- When Edward and James pull the presents train down Gordon's Hill, the narrator says that James applied his brakes, but his wheels still continue moving.
- In the first scene of James and Edward clearing snow, James' front bogie is derailed.
- As the scene fades to James and Edward going up Gordon's Hill with the empty trucks, James stops.
Home Media Releases