- “I remember watching Thomas the Tank Engine with my children when they were young and I’m delighted that it continues to appeal to each successive generation. I enjoy working vocally and have voiced many animated characters. Sailor John was something of a departure from what I usually do and a lot of fun to play.”
- ―John Hurt referring to his role
Sir John Vincent Hurt, CBE (22 January 1940 - 25 January 2017) was an English actor, who was partially known for portraying wand-maker Garrick Ollivander in the Harry Potter film series, the War Doctor from the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who and the title character of Jim Henson's The StoryTeller. Among other honours, he received two Academy Award nominations, a Golden Globe Award and four BAFTA Awards, with the fourth being a Lifetime Achievement recognition.
In 2015, he was one of the special guest stars in the special Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure.
Hurt passed away on January 25, 2017, following a year and a half long fight with pancreatic cancer.
- He and John Gielgud worked together on the 1980 film "The Elephant Man".
- He and Andrew Sachs worked together on "History of the World, Part I".
- He, Olivia Colman, Kerry Shale, Glenn Wrage, Michael Brandon, Simon Fisher-Becker, Tom Stourton, Martin Sherman, Nigel Plaskitt, Miranda Raison, John Schwab, John Ogwen, Tracy-Ann Oberman and Hugh Bonneville have all had roles in "Doctor Who". It is worth noting here that Hurt's role was a hitherto-unknown incarnation of the titular character. Togo Igawa also had a role in one of its spin-offs "Torchwood". Maggie Ollerenshaw, Jonathan Forbes and Andrew Sachs also worked on an audio dramas based on "Doctor Who". Diego Brizzi, Tesshō Genda, Dariusz Odija, Tobias Diakow, Mieczysław Morański and Kai-Henrik Möller also did dubbings for the show. Józef Pawłowski and Mattia Nissolino also both dubbed "The Sarah Jane Adventures" and Mieczysław Morański dubbed "K9", both of which were also TV spin-offs of the show.
- Both he and Albert Cohen voiced Felix from "Valiant" in their respective languages.
- He, Geneviève Déry, Robert Wilfort, Rolando de Castro, Claes Ljungmark, Leyla Rangel, Ruth Toscano and Nathan Clarke, Simon Fisher-Becker, César Izaguirre, César Árias, Katsuji Mori, Yigal Mizrachi, Hideyuki Umezu, José Luis Orozco, Jesse Grimm, Aryeh Cherner, Zuzanna Galia, Ángel Amorós, Tokuyoshi Kawashima, Octavio Rojas, Scott Maurstad, Humberto Vélez, Jorge Santos, Irwin Daayán, Masashi Ebara, Blas García, Dov Reiser, Albert Cohen, Hadar Shachaf Ma'ayan, Zvika Schwartzberg, Jamie Campbell Bower, Thomas Fritsch, Norma Iturbe and Rob Rackstraw have all starred in the "Harry Potter" films.
- He, Matt Wilkinson and Rob Rackstraw voiced characters in the "Watership Down" television series.
- He and Pete Atkin both worked on "The Gruffalo" and "The Gruffalo's Child".
- He and Matt Wilkinson both had roles in "V for Vendetta".
- John Hurt had a cut scene from the 2016 film "The Legend of Tarzan". There have also been several other people that have worked on other Tarzan related projects:
- Jesse Lickman, Kallan Kagan, Marianne Culbert, Alan Kennedy, Tigh Walker, Anna Wagner-Lopez, Jazmin Playtis, Ryan Quaglia, Jason Reeves, Rob Pringle, Adam Black, Travis Gagne and John Hickson ("Tarzan and Jane")
- Dário de Castro ("Tarzan")
- Jukka Voutilainen, Philippe Catoire, Rokurō Naya, Zbigniew Konopka and George Carlin ("Tarzan 2")
- Robin Smith ("Tarzan and the Lost Apes")