James the Second Best is the twenty-seventh episode of the tenth season.
James is shocked to discover Edward has been chosen to appear on a railway poster. He tries to be as good as Edward by treating his trucks nicely and being useful, but he is held up after being cleaned, and is afraid Edward will finish his passenger journey before him. James uses the main line to get ahead of Edward, but when he goes onto the same line as him he stops suddenly for a signal and Edward is unable to stop in time. Edward bumps behind James and is pushed forward into Edward's railway poster. Although Thomas jokes he is the poster engine now, the Fat Controller is less than impressed and tells James the children will be unable to visit the seaside now that Edward is damaged. However, James acts as a backing engine for Edward.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Emily (does not speak)
- The Photographer (does not speak)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- The Storyteller (cameo)
- Gordon (mentioned)
- The Coaling Plant
- Hawin Croka Canal
- Bluff's Cove
- The Works
- The Washdown
- The School
- Crosby Tunnel
- Tidmouth Sheds
- One of the Wellsworth station buildings is altered and used to portray Killdane.
- The narrator says that the Photographer was brought to Tidmouth Sheds, but the engines were at a different shed entirely.
- The posters Edward is on are inconsistent. Despite the photo being taken at the sheds, the posters depict him pulling two coaches on the mainline. One poster at Knapford features Edward without the coaches.
- When Edward is pushing James and the camera speed slows as James derails, Edward's wheels are still moving forward.
- Despite his front crashing through the poster, only James' face is shown to have crashed through.
- James' face is loose when he is at the washdown.
In Other Languages
|Swedish||Näst Bäst||Second Best|
|Danish||James og Plakatlokomotivet||James and the Poster Locomotive|
|Norwegian||James er Nest Best||James is Second Best|
|French||James le Deuxième Meilleur||James the Second Best|
|Spanish||James el Segundo Mejor / James Llega Segundo||James the Second Best / James Comes Second|
|Brazilian Portuguese||James o Segundo Melhor||James the Second Best|
|Dutch||James de Poster Portret||James the Poster Portrait|
|German||James Will Aufs Plakat||James Wants on Poster|
|Finnish||Jaska Haluaa Olla Ykkönen||James Wants to be Number One|
|Catalan||James el Segon Millor||James the Second Best|
|Italian||James il Miglior Secondo||James the Second Best|
|Hungarian||James a Második Legjobb||James the Second Best|
|Romanian||James Este pe Locul Doi||James is Second|
|Polish||Prawie Najlepszy Kuba||Almost the Best James|
|Croatian||Lokomotiva na Plakatu||The Locomotive on a Poster|
|Czech||James na Druhém Místě||James is Second|
|Slovak||Jakub je Druhý Najlepší||James is Second Best|
|Japanese||ジェームスは2ばんめ||James the Second|
|Korean||두 번째 최고||The Second Best|
|Russian||Джеймс второй по полезности паровоз||James' Second Utility Steam Locomotive|
|Chinese||詹姆士第二棒||James the Second Leg|
|Thai||เจมส์เก่งเป็นที่สอง||James is a Good Second|