|James the Second Best|
James the Second Best is the twenty-seventh episode of the tenth season.
James is shocked to discover Edward has been chosen to appear on a railway poster. He tries to be as good as Edward by treating his trucks nicely and being useful, but he is held up after being cleaned, and is afraid Edward will finish his passenger journey before him. James uses the main line to get ahead of Edward, but when he goes onto the same line as him he stops suddenly for a signal and Edward is unable to stop in time. Edward therefore bumps behind James and James is pushed forward, ironically, into Edward's railway poster. Although Thomas jokes he is the poster engine now, the Fat Controller is less than impressed and tells James the children will be unable to visit the seaside now that Edward is damaged. However, James acts as a backing engine for Edward.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Emily (does not speak)
- The Photographer (does not speak)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Gordon (mentioned)
- The Coaling Plant
- The Canal
- Bluff's Cove
- The Works
- The Washdown
- Tidmouth Sheds (mentioned)
- The Ffarquhar station model is altered and moved to the main line to portray Killdane.
- The photographer took Edward's picture in a shed, but on the poster, Edward was pulling two red branch line coaches, and one of just himself at Knapford.
- The narrator says that the engines are at Tidmouth Sheds at the start of the episode, but it is really the goods shed nearby.
- When Edward is pushing James and the camera speed slows as James derails, Edward's wheels are moving forward.
In other languages
|Norwegian||James er nest best||James is Second Best|
|Japanese||ジェームスは2ばんめ||James the Second|
|Swedish||Näst bäst||Second Best|
|Danish||James og plakatlokomotivet||James and the Poster Locomotive|
|Finnish||James haluaa olla ykkönen||James Wishes to be Number One|