James in a Mess and Other Thomas the Tank Engine Stories is a book illustrated using photographs from the television series.
James gets into a mess with some tar wagons.
- The stories in this book are based on episodes from the television series.
- A photograph from Duck Takes Charge is used. In the Thomas' Big Storybook edition, a promo picture of Harold from the New Series is used.
- In Bertie's Chase, the story opens with Bertie at the crossing. The same thing happens in the Shining Time Station episode, Washout.
- In the story Bertie's Chase, holes drilled into Bertie's eyes are seen.
- In the story Percy and the Signal, Gordon's front bogie is derailed.
- In the original print, the sentence line "James went redder then ever and snorted off. It was such an insult to be reminded of the time a bootlace had been used to mend a hole in his coaches" was divided in half than usual.
- A photo in Percy and the Signal is used again in the next story.
- In the first picture of James in a Mess, Henrietta is not behind Toby in the original print.
- In Percy and the Signal, the term "truck" is used once.