|For other uses, see James (disambiguation).|
- “We want a proper engine! Not a red monster!”
- ―The trucks
James, re-titled James the Red Engine in 2011, is the second book in the My Thomas Story Library series.
James gets into a lot of trouble. First, he lets off steam soaking the Fat Controller's hat. Then, he shoots past the platform and finally he bumps the coaches causing a leak in the break pipe which has to be mended with newspaper and a passenger's leather bootlace. The Fat Controller is not pleased and threatens to take away his red coat of paint and paint him blue. Later, James makes the most troublesome trucks on the line behave and the Fat Controller allows him to keep his red coat after all.
- This book is based on the stories "James and the Top Hat," "James and the Bootlace," and "Troublesome Trucks" from the Railway Series book, James the Red Engine.
- The book was released with a CD narrated by Michael Angelis in 2007.
- In 2015, this book (along with five others) was sold as a website-exclusive book pack with a Wooden Railway James.
- Gordon's Hill is illustrated as having a single track instead of three tracks.
- Most of the trucks in the ninth illustration lack facial features.
- James is oversized in the eighth illustration.
In Other Languages