Ivan is a Russian diesel shunter. He participated in the Great Railway Show's shunting challenge at least twice.
Ivan participated in the Great Railway Show at least twice during his career, and finished seconds away from setting a new world record once. Once when he again participated in the shunting challenge, he did so alongside Raul, Gina, Ashima and Thomas, but ended up losing the event after championships were awarded to the latter two.
After the Great Railway Show ended, Ivan left the Mainland and returned to Russia.
Ivan of Russia may look mean, but he is one of the most charismatic characters to be found on the railway. He is a real comedian, who will put a smile on everyone’s face.
Ivan is based on a TGM23 class diesel shunter from Russia. Ivan has been regauged from "Russian" broad gauge to standard gauge. Shankar is another member of this class.
Ivan is painted red and blue with white lining. His running board is painted yellow, and he carries his name on the sides of his cab in white lettering. His wheels are painted black with white rims and blue counterweights.
- 2016 - The Great Race
- 2016 - 6-Movie Coloring Collection (not named; does not speak), Off to the Races! (not named; does not speak), The Great Railway Show (cameo), The Great Race (not named; does not speak), The Great Race: Sticker Activity Book and The Great Race: The Movie Storybook (not named; does not speak)
- 2017 - Thomas and the Trains of the World
- 2018 - Character Encyclopedia
- Bob Golding (UK/US)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto (Japan)
- Gustavo Carrillo (Latin America)
- Andreas Kleb (Germany)
- The colours of the Russian flag, of which Ivan is painted in, are stacked differently as to how they look on the actual flag; the white and blue are swapped around. This was most likely done for aesthetic reasons.
- Ivan has been partially modified to work on British rail: he has been given buffers and chain couplings, with the original knuckle couplers removed. Additionally, compared to the real life members of his class, the front railing was altered to give viewers a better look at his face.