|This article is about the helicopter. You may be looking for the song, the annual story, or the ancient Sudrian king.|
Harold is a helicopter who patrols the Island looking for problems.
When Harold first met Percy, he stated that railways were "slow and out-of-date", but was proven wrong when Percy beat him in a race. When Thomas' brakes failed while boarding at a station, with an inspector Harold chased him down the line. Christmas that year Harold brought Santa Claus to the party at Tidmouth Station. Harold also dropped hot drinks for Percy's crew when they were stranded in a floating river and made friends with Duck after rescuing an injured sailor.
As of Misty Island Rescue, he has joined the Sodor Search and Rescue team and lives in his own hangar at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre. Since joining the team he has been involved in a search for Thomas when he got lost, saving Bertie from the Shake Shake Bridge and helping to recapture an escaped elephant. Once, Harold's rotors became jammed, so Thomas and Duck took him to the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre. After this, he helped Charlie find an elephant which had escaped from the Sodor Animal Park, and then Charlie took it back.
Harold speaks in a manner reminiscent of an RAF pilot, using terms such as "wizard" and "old chap" in conversation.
Harold somewhat tends to be full of himself as he feels that "railways are slow", but he always gets his comeuppance in the end.
Harold is based on a Sikorsky S-55 helicopter, built in the UK as the Westland Whirlwind. He has added floats.
Harold is painted white with red lining.
- Kevin Frank (Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Kerry Shale (US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Gerald Schaale (Germany; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Kai-Hendrik Möller (Germany; twelfth season onwards)
- Yūki Satō (Japan; second - eighth seasons)
- Wataru Hatano (Japan; Calling All Engines! onwards)
- Christoffer Staib (Norway; Misty Island Rescue - fifteenth season)
- Waldemar Barwiński (Poland; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Edson Matus (Mexico; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Daniel del Roble (Mexico; Stop that Bus! onwards)
- Salvador Reyes (Mexico; Misty Island Rescue - Edward the Hero)
- Aryeh Cherner (Israel; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- In the second season, Harold's spinning rotors were achieved using a transparent disk.
- During the third and fifth seasons, Harold's rotor blades were flimsy and they bent a bit.
- Harold's television series model did not have moving eyes until the tenth season.
- One of Harold's models is currently on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios. Another is on display in Japan.
- In season twelve, Harold was the only (non-human) character to be fully CGI-animated.
- In the early seasons, Harold would sometimes be given a searchlight, such as in The Runaway, Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree, and Thomas, Percy and the Post Train. From the eighth season onward, the light has been added permanently.
- In the television series, Harold has never had eyebrows.
- Harold was called Herbert in the French dub of the Classic Series.
- According to the Sodor Superstars Hall of Fame featured on Percy's Chocolate Crunch and Other Thomas Adventures, Harold has never flown out of Sodor. However, this is now false, as Harold has been seen on Misty Island in later seasons.
- "Hello," said Percy "Who are you?"
- "I'm Harold. Who are you?"
- "I'm Percy. What whirley great arms you've got!"
- "They're nice arms!" said Harold, offended. "I can hover like a bird. Don't you wish you could hover?"
- "Certainly not! I like my rails, thank you."
- "I think railways are slow!" said Harold in a bored voice. "They're not much use and quite out of date."
- The engines were just leaving the station, when they heard a familiar buzzing.
- "I say you two, there's news flying about!"
- "Where?" puffed Percy.
- "All over the place. There going to scrap the Post Train and use me instead. Wings work wonders you know! Always!"
- "Rubbish!" huffed Thomas.
- ERTL (normal and Gold Rail; both discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal and with magnet)
- Take Along (normal and with magnet; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (normal and talking)
- Lionel (discontinued)
- Bandai (several versions; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up (normal and metallic)
- Discover Junction
- LEGO (discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Push Along
- Micro Rubber Engines
- Pico Pico
- De Agostini (discontinued)
- Motorized Railway
|Harold • Bulstrode • P. S. Cumberland Road • S.S. Kathryn • Dignity • Mermaid • North Star • Nancy and Violet|
|Cranky • Jeremy • Colin • Captain • Owen • Merrick • Reg • S.S. Roxstar • Tiger Moth • Lucinda • The Queen of Sodor • A.J.R. No.1 • Ol' Wheezy • Hee-Haw • Sodor Line • Happy Hook • The Cranes • Krystyna • G-Hewi • Tugboats • The Aeroplane • The Salvage Barges • The Canal Boats • The Mail Boat • Lakesider III • The Fultan Ferry • The Tramp Steamer • AC.3929 • The Hot Air Balloon|
|Bluebird • The Tug Boat • The Yacht • The Lifeboats • Sodor Voyager • S.S. Sodor • Sir Topham • Steam Boat • The Seaplane • Sodor • The Airship • The Speedboat • Seasprite • Lizzie • S.S. Sodor Queen • S.S. Sodor Steamline • Sodor Harbor|