|This article is about the helicopter. You may be looking for the song or the ancient Sudrian king.|
Harold is a helicopter who patrols the Island looking for problems.
When Harold first met Percy, he stated that railways were "slow and out-of-date", but was proven wrong when Percy beat him in a race. When Thomas' brakes failed while boarding at a station, with an inspector Harold chased him down the line. Christmas that year Harold brought Santa Claus to the party at Tidmouth Station. Harold also dropped hot drinks for Percy's crew when they were stranded in a floating river and made friends with Duck after rescuing an injured sailor.
As of Misty Island Rescue, he has joined the Sodor Search and Rescue team and lives in his own hangar at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre. Since joining the team he has been involved in a search for Thomas when he got lost, saving Bertie from the Shake Shake Bridge and helping to recapture an escaped elephant. Once, Harold's rotors became jammed, so Thomas and Duck took him to the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre.
Harold speaks in a manner reminiscent of an RAF pilot, using terms such as "wizard" and "old chap" in conversation.
Harold somewhat tends to be full of himself as he feels that "railways are slow", but he always gets his comeuppance in the end.
Harold is based on a Sikorsky S-55 helicopter, built in the UK as the Westland Whirlwind. He has added floats.
Harold is painted white with red lining.
- Kevin Frank (Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Kerry Shale (US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Yūki Satō (Japan; second-eighth season)
- Wataru Hatano (Japan; Calling All Engines! onwards)
- Christoffer Staib (Norway; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Waldemar Barwiński (Poland; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- In the second season, Harold's spinning rotors were achieved using a transparent disk.
- Harold's television series model did not have moving eyes until the tenth season.
- One of Harold's models is currently on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- In season 12, Harold was the only (non-human) character to be fully CGI-animated.
- In the early seasons, Harold would sometimes be given a searchlight, such as in Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree and Thomas, Percy and the Post Train. From the eighth season onward, the light has been added permanently.
- ERTL (normal and Gold Rail; both discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal and with magnet)
- Take-Along (normal and with magnet; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (normal and talking)
- Lionel (discontinued)
- Bandai (several versions; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up (normal and metallic)
- Discover Junction
- LEGO (discontinued)
|Harold • Bulstrode • P. S. Cumberland • S.S. Kathryn • Dignity • Mermaid • North Star|
|Cranky • Jeremy • Colin • Captain • Owen • Merrick • S.S. Roxstar • Tiger Moth • Lucinda • The Queen of Sodor • A.J.R. No.1 • Ol' Wheezy • Hee-Haw • Sodor Line • Happy Hook • The Cranes • Krystyna • G-Hewi • Tugboats • The Aeroplane • The Salvage Barges • The Canal Boats • The Mail Boat • Lakesider III • The Fultan Ferry • The Tramp Steamer • The Hot Air Balloon|
|The Stationary Boiler • The Yacht • The Lifeboats • S.S. Sodor • The Seaplane • Sodor • The Airship • The Speedboat|