|This article is about the helicopter. You may be looking for the Fifth season song, the annual story, the Story Library book or the ancient Sudrian king.|
Harold is a helicopter who patrols the Island, searching for emergencies.
When Harold first met Percy, he stated that railways were "slow and out-of-date", but was proven wrong when Percy beat him in a race. When Thomas' brakes failed while boarding at a station, with an inspector Harold chased him down the line. Christmas that year Harold brought Santa Claus to the party at Tidmouth Station. Harold also dropped hot drinks for Percy's crew when they were stranded in a floating river and made friends with Duck after rescuing an injured sailor.
As of Misty Island Rescue, he has joined the Sodor Search and Rescue team and lives in his own hangar at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre. Since joining the team he has been involved in a search for Thomas when he got lost, saving Bertie from the Shake Shake Bridge and helping Charlie to recapture an elephant which had escaped from the Sodor Animal Park. Once, Harold's rotors became jammed, so Thomas and Duck took him to the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre.
He and the rest of the rescue team helped out after a big storm, and they were rewarded with a new alarm bell for the rescue centre. He later found Percy and Diesel trapped in a flood at the old quarry, and the rescue team helped them out. He also helped The Duke and Duchess of Boxford get to Callan Castle, after Thomas, Spencer and Bertie failed.
Harold speaks in a manner reminiscent of an RAF pilot, using terms such as "wizard" and "old chap" in conversation.
Throughout the second to fourth seasons, Harold somewhat tended to be full of himself as he felt that "railways are slow", but he always got his comeuppance in the end. He temporarily regained this part of his personality in A Bad Day for Harold the Helicopter.
Harold is based on a Sikorsky S-55 helicopter, built in the UK as the Westland Whirlwind. He has added floats.
Harold is painted white with red lining.
- Kevin Frank (Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Kerry Shale (US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Gerald Schaale (Germany; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Kai-Hendrik Möller (Germany; twelfth season onwards)
- Yūki Satō (Japan; second - eighth seasons)
- Wataru Hatano (Japan; Calling All Engines! onwards)
- Christoffer Staib (Norway; Misty Island Rescue - fifteenth season)
- Waldemar Barwiński (Poland; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Alexander Heeren (The Netherlands)
- Edson Matus (Latin America; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Gerardo García (Latin America; Thomas and the Magic Railroad; TV Version)
- Salvador Reyes (Latin America; Misty Island Rescue - Edward the Hero)
- Daniel del Roble (Latin America; Stop that Bus! onwards)
- Aryeh Cherner (Israel; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Juan Navarro Torelló (Spain)
- Tony Marot (France and French speaking Canada; eighth season onwards)
- One of Harold's models is on display in Japan at the Hara Railway Museum (previously on display at Nitrogen Studios), and is currently missing his mouth.
- Harold has gone through several changes throughout the Television Series:
- Season 2:
- His spinning rotors were achieved using a transparent disk.
- The Runaway and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree:
- He is shown with a lamp
- Season 3:
- His model's blades now spun when shown flying.
- His blades were flimsy and bent a bit.
- Thomas Percy and the Post Train:
- The lamp reappears.
- Season 4:
- His blades become straight again
- Season 5:
- His blades go back to being flimsy and bent.
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad:
- His blades are straight once again.
- Season 8:
- The lamp becomes permanent.
- Season 10:
- His eyes now move with a motor
- Season 12:
- Harold becomes fully CGI
- Misty Island Rescue:
- Harold appears to be taller and wider
- Season 2:
- In the television series, Harold has never had eyebrows. However, he did have them in the magazine story Mountain Rescue.
- Harold was called Herbert in the French dub of the Classic Series.
- According to the Sodor Superstars Hall of Fame featured on Percy's Chocolate Crunch and Other Thomas Adventures, Harold has never flown out of Sodor. However, this is now false, as Harold has been seen on Misty Island in later seasons.
- "Hello," said Percy "Who are you?"
- "I'm Harold. Who are you?"
- "I'm Percy. What whirley great arms you've got!"
- "They're nice arms!" said Harold, offended. "I can hover like a bird. Don't you wish you could hover?"
- "Certainly not! I like my rails, thank you."
- "I think railways are slow!" said Harold in a bored voice. "They're not much use and quite out of date."
- The engines were just leaving the station, when they heard a familiar buzzing.
- "I say you two, there's news flying about!"
- "Where?" puffed Percy.
- "All over the place. There going to scrap the Post Train and use me instead. Wings work wonders you know! Always!"
- "Rubbish!" huffed Thomas.
- ERTL (normal and Gold Rail; both discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal and with magnet)
- Take Along (normal and with magnet; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued, reintroduced 2015 in set only)
- My First Thomas (normal and talking)
- Lionel (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Capsule Collection
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up (normal and metallic)
- Limited Edition Collection
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Discover Junction
- LEGO (discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Push Along
- Micro Rubber Engines
- Pico Pico
- Boss (discontinued)
- De Agostini (discontinued)
- Motorized Railway
- New Block
- Pre-Cut Model Engine Books (discontinued)
- Big Buddy (discontinued)
|Harold • Bulstrode • P. S. Cumberland Road • S.S. Kathryn • Dignity • Mermaid • North Star • Nancy and Violet|
|Cranky • Jeremy • Colin • Captain • Owen • Merrick • Reg • S.S. Roxstar • Tiger Moth • Lucinda • The Queen of Sodor • A.J.R. No.1 • Ol' Wheezy • Hee-Haw • Sodor Line • Happy Hook • The Cranes • Krystyna • G-Hewi • Tugboats • The Aeroplane • The Salvage Barges • The Canal Boats • The Mail Boat • Lakesider III • The Fultan Ferry • The Tramp Steamer • AC.3929 • The Hot Air Balloon|
|Bluebird • The Tug Boat • The Yacht • The Lifeboats • Sodor Voyager • S.S. Sodor • Sir Topham • Steam Boat • The Seaplane • Sodor • The Airship • The Speedboat • Seasprite • Lizzie • The Submarine • S.S. Sodor Queen • S.S. Sodor Steamline • Sodor Harbor • Dilly|