Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Railway Series book.|
Duncan is grumbling about being overworked, not being polished and passengers. Skarloey, dismayed by Duncan's stubbornness, tells Duncan and Peter Sam the story of the time Rheneas single-handedly ran the Skarloey Railway when they were facing hard times. Skarloey had been feeling sick, so Rheneas did his work for him. Then, one miserable day, Rheneas was puffing home with a full train, including passengers in the brake van, when his valve gear on one side jammed. Rheneas felt sore, but managed to get home safely. The passengers thanked Rheneas and promised to tell their friends what a fine railway it is. Duncan sees the error of his ways and apologises and agrees that passengers can be important after all.
The next day, Rheneas returns and a big celebration is held from engines large and small. However, Rheneas feels happiest now that he is back with his old friend, Skarloey.
- Peter Sam
- Edward (does not speak)
- Thomas (cameo)
- Henry (cameo)
- Gordon (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Sir Handel (cameo)
- Duke (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Jeremiah Jobling (cameo)
- Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- Crovan's Gate
- Sodor Castle
- Hawin Doorey
- Rheneas Bridge
- Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds
- Rheneas Viaduct (mentioned)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Gallant Old Engine.
- This is the 100th episode to air in Japan.
- On PBS Kids Sprout airings, this episode has stereo audio while the US VHS and DVD releases have mono audio.
- Not counting the stock footage cameo in Harold and the Flying Horse, this is Duke's last appearance to date.
- Rheneas is wearing Smudger's sad face when he passes Skarloey in the first part of the flash-back. Also, he and Skarloey are on Duke's old line.
- Throughout all of the field scenes, a wire is visible under Rheneas and one of his coaches.
- Henry and Sir Handel look grumpy when Edward puffs in with Rheneas.
- When Rheneas is on the causeway, he has Duke's whistle sound.
- Rheneas and Sir Handel have the same whistle sound.
- When Rheneas arrives at Glennock, his eyes abruptly change position, indicating a film cut.
- Gordon has Duck's whistle sound.
- In the UK narration, the engines start whistling long before the narrator says they do.
- Gordon's buffer is crooked in one scene.
- When the passengers begin thanking Rheneas, Jem Cole is standing alone. Then in the next scene, he is standing with the Refreshment Lady amongst others.
- In a deleted scene of Rheneas, Skarloey and Duncan at the Sheds, Rheneas is wearing one of Sir Handel's face masks.
- On the US Digital Download release, the Thomas theme song is heard in the left audio channel when Skarloey talks about how he and Rheneas had to keep the trains running.
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Det tapre lokomotivet||The Brave Engine|
|Italian||La locomotiva coraggiosa||The Courageous Engine|
|Dutch||Een Keurige Locomotief||A Neat Engine|
|German||Tapfere alte Lok||Brave Old Engine|
|Finnish||Urhea Vanha Veturi||Brave Old Engine|
|Welsh||Hen Injan Ddewr||Brave Old Engine|
|Danish||Den tapre lokomotiv||The Brave Engine|
|Spanish||Una locomotora muy valiente||A Very Brave Engine|
|Czech||Statečná mašinka||Brave Engine|
|Chinese||神勇老火车||Brave Old Train|
|Russian||Доблестный старый паровоз||Valiant Old Steam Locomotive|
|Ukrainian||Доблесний старий паровоз||Valiant Old Locomotive|
|Slovenian||Junaška stara lokomotiva||Heroic Old Locomotive|
|Romanian||Locomotiva Cea Veche Galantă||The Old Gallant Locomotive|
|Slovak||Galantná stará lokomotíva||Gallant Old Locomotive|
|Hungarian||A Lelkiismeretes Mozdony||The Conscientious Locomotive|
|Polish||Stary Wielki Parowóz||Old Great Locomotive|
|Swedish||Galant Gamla Lok||Gallant Old Locomotives|
|Greek||Γενναίος παλιά ατμομηχανή||Brave Old Engine|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Pequeno forte trem||Strong Small Train|
|Thai||เรเนียร์ส หัวรถจักรอดทน||Rheneas' Engine Patience|
Home Media Releases