|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Railway Series book, the My First Thomas book, the Buzz Book, the Malaysian DVD, or the Philippine DVD.|
Four Little Engines is the fifth episode of the fourth season. It first aired in the US in the Mr. Conductor's Thomas Tales episode, Wildlife in 1996 and aired on the last airing of Storytime with Thomas on Fox Family.
Edward is sent to The Works to be mended. On the way, he meets a narrow gauge engine called Skarloey, who is resting in a shed and is lonely as his brother Rheneas is going to be mended. The two talk for a while, until some workmen came to take Edward. Edward says goodbye and that Skarloey's railway is lovely before leaving.
Meanwhile, Sir Handel, with his punishment ended, is pulling some awkward and rude coaches who don't trust him whatsoever when he has to stop suddenly due to a flock of sheep straying onto the line. The coaches become angry, think that he deliberately bumped them, and bump him off the rails. No disaster strikes and no one is hurt, but Sir Handel limps home. With no engine to take the passengers home, Skarloey volunteers and goes to fetch the coaches.
When Skarloey arrives, he scolds the coaches for their behaviour and how they would have hurt their passengers. The coaches apologise and as soon as the guard blows his whistle, Skarloey's journey begins. Skarloey stops at every station making good time until they get to a hill. Skarloey thinks it would be easy when they go down, but it is not, as Skarloey's springs become weak from age and the rail joints jar his wheels. But as soon they come down the hill, his springs become completely broken coming down the hill, tilting him on one side. His driver says they would need a bus to take the passengers. Skarloey refuses the idea as he is determined to get them back to the last station.
Later, James waits impatiently at the station but Skarloey makes it on time. James collects the passengers and takes them home. Everyone is pleased, but Skarloey reflects afterwards that he is in no state to pull trains, but is delighted when his driver tells him he will be mended and that he deserves it.
- James (does not speak)
- Rheneas (does not speak)
- Sir Handel (does not speak)
- Peter Sam (does not speak)
- Sir Topham Hatt (does not speak)
- Thomas (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Duck (cameo)
- Douglas (cameo)
- Oliver (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Terence (cameo)
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- Crovan's Gate
- Rheneas Viaduct
- Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds
- The Works (mentioned)
- This episode is based on the stories Skarloey Remembers and Old Faithful from The Railway Series book, Four Little Engines.
- This marks the last time that Peter Sam and Sir Handel are referred to as Falcon and Stuart.
- This is the only episode in the entire series to be named after a Railway Series book, rather than one of the stories in the book.
- Edward and James have different whistle sounds for the rest of the season.
- When Edward passes Skarloey, some of his wheels are not moving.
- Sir Handel has Rheneas' whistle sound.
- In the Crovan's Gate scene, either Thomas or Duck has James' whistle sound.
- Annie is facing the wrong way as Thomas passes through Crovan's Gate.
- After Skarloey leaves Crovan's Gate, the coaches lose their faces.
- When Skarloey says, "It'll be better downhill," the stripe on his tank is crooked.
- Skarloey is crooked before the spring broke.
- In the last scene, Skarloey whistles despite having no steam.
- In a rare still, there are four coaches behind Sir Handel instead of three when he is bumped off the rails.
- In a rare still, red and black wires are seen underneath Sir Handel's cab.
- The front coach on Skarloey's train is swapped with another, as the bufferbeam is lower when being coupled.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||Cuatro Locomotoras||Four Engines|
|Norwegian||Fire små lokomotiv||Four Little Engines|
|German||Vier kleine Lokomotiven||Four Little Engines|
|Dutch||Vier kleine locomotiefjes||Four Little Engines|
|Polish||Cztery Małe Lokomotywy||Four Little Engines|
|Finnish||Neljä Pientä Veturia||Four Little Engines|
|Hungarian||Négy kicsi mozdony||Four Little Engines|
|Italian||Quattro Piccole Locomotive||Four Little Engines|
|Welsh||Pedair Injan Fechan||Four Small Engines|
|Danish||Fire Små Lokomotiver||Four Little Engines|
|Russian||Четыре маленьких паровозика||Four Little Engines|
|Ukrainian||Чотири Паровозики||Four Engines|
|Chinese||四小火车||Four Little Engines|
|Slovenian||Štirje lokomotivčki||Four Little Engines|
|Czech||Čtyři malé mašinky||Four Little Engines|
|Romanian||Patru Locomtive Micuţe||Four Little Engines|
|Slovak||Štyri malé lokomotívy||Four Little Engines|
|Swedish||Fyra små lokomotiv||Four Little Engines|
|Greek||Τέσσερα μικρά ατμομηχανές||Four Little Engines|
|Thai||สกาโลอี้หัวรถจักรผู้มุ่งมั่น||Skarloey the Engine Determined|
Home Media Releases