Behind the Scenes
Gauge 1 model
When the episode was filmed, only Flying Scotsman's two tenders were seen peering outside of the Knapford Harbour station. The tenders were scratch-built from Perspex to fit Gauge 1 track. In addition, the both of his tenders had coal bunkers, whereas in real life, the rear tender only carried water. These tenders also lacked corridors. After the events of the third season, the tenders were placed into storage.
Henry's Gauge 1 model (minus the tender) appeared to be used to represent Flying Scotsman's front section, the rear of his cab was only visible.
In 2009, the series introduced Computer-Generated Imagery (CGI) as a replacement for the show's long-standing live-action models. In 2016, Flying Scotsman was created in CGI by Arc Productions. The model was "hand-sculpted" in Maya, a 3D animation and modelling software.
Flying Scotsman had some differences/modifications between his real life, model series, and his CGI form. These include:
- His face is a modified version of Gordon's, with larger eyebrows and a slightly different nose.
- He received smoke deflectors, a double chimney and his number on both his cab and second tender, a combination he has never had in real life. He can also extend his smoke deflectors.
- He has six wheels on his tenders instead of eight and the corridors are still lacking. He also has "Fowler" tender-shaped lining on his LNER tenders.
- His bufferbeam is larger and the lining on it and his running plate is absent.
- His boiler and smokebox is larger.
- He has the same whistle sound as Neville.
Flying Scotsman's form in CGI model seems to use parts from other engines:
- Gordon's front bogey and pistons.
- Spencer's lamps, driving and trailing wheels.
- Rufus Jones (UK/US; The Great Race onwards)
- Masayuki Omoro (Japan; Hashire! The "Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends" Steam Locomotive is Alive! only)
- Kenta Miyake (Japan; The Great Race onwards)
- Dafnis Fernández (Latin America; The Great Race only)
- Christian Strempler (Latin America; Big World! Big Aventures! onwards)
- Andreas Birnbaum (Germany)
- Leopoldo Ballesteros (Spain)
- Przemysław Glapiński (Poland)
- Dan Schatzberg (Israel)