|This article is about the traction engine. You may be looking for the Story Library book.|
Fergus is a railway traction engine, who works at the Cement Works.
Fergus mainly works at the cement works and is thus called "the pride of the cement works".
Before working at the cement works, Fergus worked at the quarry with Mavis, Bill, and Ben. Bill and Ben immediately began to get annoyed with Fergus telling them to "Do it right", so when they brought a rock crusher, they decided to do the opposite of what he tells him to do, thus, to "Do it wrong". However, their naughty actions nearly caused them to get caught in a landslide caused by blasting and their heavy rock crusher, but Fergus managed to push them out of the way, only to end up in the rockslide himself. The twins managed to help Fergus out and apoligized for their bad behavior.
One day, Salty went to pick up Fergus from the smelters. As they passed the lighthouse, the generation broke down and the light in the lighthouse went out. Luckily, Salty suggested Fergus to use his flywheel to power up the generator. The plan worked, and the ship managed to clear the path before it crashed into the rocks.
When the Fat Controller sent Devious Diesel to help Fergus at the cement works, Diesel soon started to find Fergus annoying with his "Do it right" attitude, so he tricked him by telling him that the Fat Controller wanted him to work at the Smelters shed. However, Fergus was horrified, so he and his driver decided to run away to the Maithwaite Quarry Mine. Thomas soon found him and explained that the Fat Controller was worried about him and didn't send him to the smelters. As he took him away and brought him to the Fat Controller, Thomas explained that Diesel wanted Fergus to work at the Smelters, so the Fat Controller arranged for Diesel to work there instead and for Fergus to go back to the cement works the following day. Fergus was still the pride of the cement works.
According to The Official Website, Fergus now has a slight but persistent cough which affects his speech, caused by working at the dusty cement works.
Fergus knows the rulebook off by heart, and his catchphrase is "Do it right!" His insistence on doing everything absolutely according to the rules can annoy the other engines, but he is a decent engine at heart and will not hesitate to help others in trouble.
Fergus is based on the Aveling and Porter 2-2-0 'T9' class railway traction engine No. 9449 "Blue Circle", which is the only one left in the world. Since Fergus' introduction, "Blue Circle" has been dressed up as Fergus on special occasions on its home line, the Battlefield Line in Leicestershire.
Fergus is painted royal blue with gold boiler bands and red wheels.
- Ryōtarō Okiayu (Japan)
- According to the official website, Fergus' flywheel can be used to power tools such as a saw, drill, or pump. It has also powered a generator in the past.
- Fergus has never been seen with a fireman.
- In a SiF interview with Chris Lloyd, it was mentioned that Fergus' model was damaged during the filming of Bill, Ben and Fergus. His model still worked, but the flywheel couldn't turn anymore, nor could he puff steam. This may be why he never appeared after the seventh season.
- Fergus differs slightly from his basis: his smoke box is larger to accommodate a face. His bufferbeam is also missing a large section for the same reason.
- According to Robert Gauld-Galliers's concept art, Fergus was originally going to have oval shaped buffers.
- Fergus incorrectly has black buffers on many of his promotional artwork.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (reintroduced 2013)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engines • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Glynn • Ryan • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Philip • Flynn • Winston • Stafford •