Ernest was built at the Swiss Locomotive and Machine Works in Winterthur, Switzerland, in 1900. Soon afterwards, he arrived on Sodor.
According to Sodor: Reading Between the Lines, he and Wilfred were superseded by the more modern Nos. 6-8 in 1964 and were falsely stated to not have appeared in the stories, although this could be a mistake.
It is implied that Ernest is an old and wise mountain engine.
Ernest is painted purple with orange lining. The number "2" is painted on the sides and back of his cab in yellow and he has red nameplates, with his name in gold, on the sides of his tanks.
- Like most of mountain engines, Ernest is equipped with a face at each end.
- Later, Culdee met two old friends. Ernest, number two, and Wilfred, number three.
- After some happy gossip, Culdee asked. "Who is Lord Harry?"
- "He's one of the new engines," they said, "who came while you were away; he's number six. Alaric and Eric are seven and eight, they're nice quiet engines, but old Harry's a terror!"
- Ernest and Wilfred talking about the new engines, Danger Points, Mountain Engines.
|Culdee Fell Railway|
|Godred • Ernest • Wilfred • Culdee • Shane Dooiney • Patrick • Alaric • Eric|