|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the book.|
|Emily's New Coaches|
October 4th, 2003
Emily's New Coaches is the first episode of the seventh season.
A new engine named Emily has to take some coaches and Annie and Clarabel are the only ones around. Later, Emily is shunting Annie and Clarabel when Oliver tells her they are Thomas' coaches. Emily tries to find Thomas, who in the meantime was sent to collect some new coaches. Emily is still looking for Thomas when she is told that Oliver has not cleared the crossing, so she goes to investigate. Oliver has broken down and Thomas is heading towards him and cannot stop. Emily pushes Oliver out of the way just in time and in gratitude, the Fat Controller presents her with the new coaches.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Edward (does not speak)
- Percy (does not speak)
- James (cameo)
- Toad (cameo)
- Butch (cameo)
- Harold (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Cyril the Fogman (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (deleted scene cameo)
- Toby (role replaced with Oliver)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Mountain Village
- Shunting Yards
- The Watermill
- Henry's Tunnel
- Rolf's Castle
- The Fishing Village
- Sodor River Bridge
- The Castle Tunnel
- Gordon's Hill (deleted scene)
- The Lighthouse (deleted scene)
- This is the first episode not to have Britt Allcroft involved in production.
- This is the first episode to be narrated by Michael Brandon in the US.
- A deleted scene from Thomas and Stepney is used.
- In a rare picture, Oliver and Emily have switched sides.
- In the US narration, the lines "Oh, dear!" "Thanks!" and "We did it." are added.
- In Michael Angelis' narrations, just before Thomas reaches Oliver, Oliver says "Oh!" But in Michael Brandon's version, he says "Help!"
- According to a recent SiF interview with Robert Gauld-Galliers, Oliver's role in this episode was originally meant for Toby.
- The Danish title of this episode is "Emily's New Cars". In Japan, it is called "New Fellow Emily".
- At Maithwaite, a London, Midland and Scottish Railway poster is seen.
- Thomas was said to be taking Annie and Clarabel back to the yard, but he was pulling red coaches.
- Emily's safety valve is referred to as a dome.
- After Emily drops Annie and Clarabel off at the yard, her siderods suddenly change position as she leaves to find Thomas.
- Throughout the episode, Oliver continually gains and loses his lamp.
- Thomas had plenty of time to stop for Oliver.
- When the narrator says, "Later, the Fat Controller praised Emily", Oliver looks cross.
- The very first scene of the episode is mirrored.
- Percy has James' whistle sound at the beginning.
- Studio equipment is visible on the right of the screen when Thomas says "Give them back!"
- In a close up of Clarabel, her right eye is damaged.