|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the book.|
|Emily's New Coaches|
Emily's New Coaches is the first episode of the seventh season.
Thomas is excited to return to the yard. He wants to say hello to a new engine who has arrived. She has a brass dome and emerald green paintwork. The Fat Controller introduces her as Emily. Then he tells Emily to collect her coaches, and that she and and driver must learn the line. Thomas is very impressed.
The only coaches that Emily can find are Annie and Clarabel. Her driver says that they'll do, which insults the two coaches. Emily couples up to them and leaves the yard.
Emily puffs along with Annie and Clarabel still grumbling. As she passes Thomas, she calls hello to him. But Thomas crossly demands that she gives his coaches back to him. Emily doesn't hear Thomas and carries on. She also passes Edward and Percy, but they don't whistle to her, making her sad.
The Fat Controller asks Thomas to go and pick up some new coaches. Thomas doesn't want new coaches: he wants Annie and Clarabel back. But the Fat Controller tells him not to argue.
Emily, Annie and Clarabel return to the yard. Oliver sees her and is surprised to see her with Thomas' coaches. Emily realises that Thomas was cross because she had his coaches, and leaves to apologise. Meanwhile Thomas is pulling two green coaches, still grumbling.
Emily arrives at a signal box where she is flagged down. The signalman tells her that Oliver hasn't cleared his signal box yet, and that she has to go and see what the problem is.
Emily sees that Oliver has broken down on a section of track where two lines cross each other. Then she hears Thomas' whistle. He sees Oliver but he can't stop in time. Emily charges and pushes Oliver across the tracks, just in time to avoid a crash with Thomas.
Later the Fat Controller praises Emily. Then he presents her with two brand new coaches, the same ones that Thomas had collected. She apologises to Thomas for taking Annie and Clarabel, and Thomas apologises for being cross.
Emily is very happy to be a part of the Fat Controller's railway.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Edward (does not speak)
- Percy (does not speak)
- James (cameo)
- Toad (cameo)
- Harold (cameo)
- Butch (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Cyril the Fogman (cameo)
- The Fisherman (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (deleted scene cameo)
- Farmer McColl (deleted scene cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (deleted scene cameo)
- Toby (original script)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Shunting Yards
- The Watermill
- Henry's Tunnel
- Suddery Castle
- The Fishing Village
- Three Tier Bridge
- Tidmouth Tunnel
- Gordon's Hill (deleted scene)
- The Lighthouse (deleted scene)
- This is Jocelyn Stevenson's first episode as executive producer.
- This is Britt Allcroft's first episode as creative consultant.
- This is the first episode narrated by Michael Brandon in the US.
- Mirrored stock footage from Thomas in Trouble is used, as is a deleted scene from Thomas and Stepney.
- In a rare picture, Oliver and Emily have switched sides.
- According to a recent SiF interview with Robert Gauld-Galliers, Oliver's role in this episode was originally meant for Toby.
- At Maithwaite, a London, Midland and Scottish Railway poster is seen.
- The very first scene of the episode is mirrored.
- When Emily leaves the yards with Annie and Clarabel, a faceless Toad model can be seen next to her.
- Thomas is said to be taking Annie and Clarabel back to the yard, but he is pulling red coaches instead.
- Emily's safety valve is referred to as a dome.
- After Emily drops Annie and Clarabel off at the yard, her siderods suddenly change position as she leaves to find Thomas.
- Emily consistently wobbles throughout this episode.
- Throughout the episode, Oliver continually gains and loses his lamp and his right (our left) lamp iron.
- When the narrator says, "Later, the Fat Controller praised Emily", Oliver looks cross.
- Percy has James' whistle sound at the beginning.
- Studio equipment is visible on the right of the screen when Thomas says "Give them back!"
- In a close up of Clarabel, her right eye is damaged.
- In a close up of Emily's coaches after The Fat Controller presents them to her, one of the coaches doesn't have its clerestory roof fixed properly.
In other languages
|Japanese||あたらしいなかまエミリー||Emily the New Friend|
|Spanish||Los nuevos vagones de Emily||Emily's new coaches|
|Danish||Emilys nye vogne||Emily's New Wagons|
|Russian||Новые вагоны Эмили||Emily's New Cars|
|Italian||Le Nuove Carrozze di Emily||Emily's New Coaches|
|Dutch||Nieuwe Wagens voor Emily||New Wagons for Emily|