|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the song.|
Emily is a large Stirling Single tender engine.
When Emily was new to Sodor, she was ignored by the other engines for pulling Annie and Clarabel without Thomas' permission or knowledge. The matter was resolved after she saved both Thomas and Oliver from a nasty accident on the cross-points, and she was rewarded with two new coaches. Emily proved to be kind-hearted, as she was the only engine concerned about Henry when he was ill due to leaky tubes.
However, Emily has proven to be a nuisance on occasion as she bossed everyone about when they were clearing up after a storm; Thomas when taking passengers, and Percy when shunting trucks. When pulling the express for the first time, she was determined to keep to Gordon's timing, only to run out of water.
When Thomas had to stay at Knapford Sheds, Emily did not like his company at first as she just wanted some sleep. However, she learned how comfortable it is to have the company of friends and once Tidmouth Sheds was rebuilt, she was transferred there to be with her new shedmates.
Like most engines, Emily can get quite puffed up in the smokebox. When she was called "Excellent Emily", she ignored the advice of Murdoch, Thomas, and Duck only to get herself into trouble. Afterwards, she took their advice to get her job done.
Emily tries her best to make her friends happy. When she assumed that Mavis was sad, she took flowers to the quarry, but only created a mess. When she tried to help her friends with the soccer match, she neglected to fetch the dirty washing, which turned out to be the soccer team's uniforms. Also, when the Fat Controller lost his top hat, Emily went to find it without success and then took the special Christmas train without permission. However, she always makes amends for her friends' sake.
When Thomas hid his snowplough, Emily had to do Thomas' work and saved him when he got stuck in the snow.
In the seventh season, Emily acts as a sisterly figure to the others. Emily is kind and friendly and always sensitive to the other engines' feelings. If she wrongs someone, knowingly or not, she is quick to apologize. From the eighth season onwards, however, Emily can tend to get into trouble because of her fussy and bossy attitude, but she is nicer than she lets on.
Emily is based on a GNR G Stirling Single.
Emily is painted in the emerald livery of the Great Northern Railway with gold lining and chocolate running-boards.
- Teresa Gallagher (UK; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Jules de Jongh (US; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Blanche Ravalec (France and French speaking Canada; eighth season onwards)
- Yuka Shioyama (Japan; seventh and eighth seasons)
- Erina Yamazaki (Japan; Calling All Engines! onwards)
- Marit Berg (Norway; Hero of the Rails-fifteenth season)
- Marianne Westby (Norway; Day of the Diesels onwards)
- Chiara Gioncardi (Italy)
- Xóchitl Ugarte (Mexico; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Kristina von Weltzien (Germany)
- Joanna Pach (Poland; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- One of Emily's models is currently on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- In the twelfth season, Emily's face became larger.
- Emily had the same whistle sound as Henry in Season 8 and from Season 13 until the latter half of Season 17.
- In Railway Rhymes, the author states that Emily and Thomas act like brother and sister sometimes.
- According to a magazine bio, she has a particular fondness for James and treats him like a little brother.
- In the latter half of the seventeenth season, Emily gains a permanent lamp, tail lamp and lampirons, as well as a new whistle sound that is similar to her seventh season whistle.
- In the seventh season, Emily had brass buffers, but since Season 8, they have been silver.
- Until Season 17, Emily had a silver snowplough with green sides, but now she has one that is green all over, which matches her livery.
- Until Season 11, Emily had black buffer housings, but now they are red.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal and talking)
- Take-Along (normal and metallic; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued outside Asia)
- TrackMaster (normal and Splish, Splash, Splosh! versions)
- My First Thomas (normal and talking)
- Hornby (discontinued)
- Bachmann (HO and large scale)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Trading Cards
- Take-n-Play (normal and talking)
- Mega Bloks
- Wind-up (normal and metallic)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engine • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Porter • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Flynn • Winston • Stafford|