|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the book or the DVD.|
Edward the Very Useful Engine, retitled Edward the Really Useful Engine in some American and British releases, is the twenty-third episode of the sixth season.
Gordon thinks that Edward is old and should be retired, and the other big engines agree with him, but Percy is concerned about this. He tells his driver and the Fat Controller about what Gordon said about Edward, who attends to the matter immediately.
The Fat Controller arranges for Edward to teach Stepney to run a new loop line, while Duck does Edward's work, but it makes no difference to Gordon. Edward enjoys working with Stepney, but Duck does not enjoy working with the trucks, especially when they hold him back on Gordon's Hill. Duck is stuck on Gordon's line, and it is too late to switch him to the middle line, so the guard tries to flag him down, but Gordon passes by and tries to push Duck up, but it is no good.
Gordon's crew sends for Edward to help both engines, and as the strange train sets off and pulls into the station, Gordon feels rather embarrassed and is told off by The Fat Controller for saying rude things about Edward, who has proven to be responsible, reliable and very helpful. The next day, Gordon apologises to Edward and says that he really is a useful engine. Now there is no more talk about Edward retiring.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stephen Hatt (not named)
- James (does not speak)
- Duck (does not speak)
- Stepney (does not speak)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- The Storyteller (cameo)
- Oliver (deleted scene)
- Tidmouth Bay
- The Windmill
- The Viaduct
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Gordon's Hill
- Shunting Yards
- The Lighthouse
- The Loop Line
- This was the final episode to be written by David Mitton.
- This is one of the few episodes of the sixth season to be later re-narrated by Michael Brandon in the US and Michael Angelis in the UK with music composed by Robert Hartshorne and Ed Welch.
- In Michael Angelis' 2005 re-narration, the term "freight cars" is used at the beginning.
- Three posters at Knapford read "Alicia Botti in concert tonight at the castle".
- During the production of the episode, fellow wikia user and Thomas fan Elliot K. Ward visited Shepperton Studios on Friday May 15th, 2002, with Phil Fehrle as his tour guide.
- In the American narration, after Alec Baldwin says, "Sir Topham Hatt spoke severely to Gordon", a voice can be faintly heard saying "Take six".
- Stepney has Skarloey's whistle sound.
- When Gordon is seen coming up the hill to push Duck, the guard is seen waving a red flag, but in the very next shot, he is in the brakevan.
- When Edward buffers up to Gordon a white wire is visible in the windows of the express coach.
- Duck has Oliver's whistle sound at the beginning.
- Some of the trucks that Duck is pulling have their face on the back end.
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Edward, det nyttige lokomotivet||Edward the Useful Engine|
|Danish||Edward det gamle lokomotiv||Edward the Old Engine|
|Japanese||やくにたつきかんしゃエドワード||Edward the Useful Engine|
|Welsh||Cymorth i Edward||Assistance to Edward|
|Spanish||Edward, la locomotora muy útil||Edward the Very Useful Engine|
|Swedish||Edward, det nyttiga loket||Edward the Useful Engine|
|Slovenian||Edvard, Zelo Koristna Lokomotiva||Edward the Very Useful Engine|
|Italian||La Locomotiva di Spinta||The Back Engine|
|Romanian||Edward Locomotiva Foarte Utilă||Edward the Very Helpful Locomotive|
|Slovak||Eduard je veľmi užitočná lokomotíva||Edward is a Very Useful Locomotive|
|Hungarian||Edward Nagyon Hasznos Mozdony||Edward's Locomotive Very Useful|
|Polish||Bardzo Użyteczny Edek||Very Useful Edward|
|Chinese||爱德华非常有用的小火车||Edward the Useful Train|
|Korean||꼭 필요한 기관차||Necassary Engines|
|Thai||เอ็ดเวิร์ดแรงไม่ตก||Edward Did Not Fall Hard|
Home Media Releases
- Percy's Chocolate Crash