Edward the Great is the fourteenth episode of the eighth season.
The Duke and Duchess of Boxford are visiting and Edward is to take their luggage to their summerhouse. Spencer challenges Edward to a race and soon gets in the lead. Spencer becomes puffed up with his lead and stops to allow the Duke and Duchess to take photographs, falling asleep in the meantime. Edward, however, passes him and gets onto the summerhouse branch line and beats Spencer, who naturally is very embarrassed by his loss.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Duke and Duchess of Boxford (do not speak)
- Henry (cameo)
- Salty (cameo)
- City of Truro (picture cameo)
- Refreshment Lady (mentioned)
- Donald and Douglas (deleted scene)
- The Coaling Plant
- Gordon's Hill
- Henry's Tunnel
- The Duke and Duchess of Boxford's Summer House
- The Flour Mill
- This is the last episode to use stock footage from the Classic Series.
- This also marks the last time Spencer is seen with his blue-grey paintwork. Starting from his next appearance, his paint changes to silver.
- While the Duke and Duchess have refreshments, posters advertising RMS Titanic, RMS Olympic, and the London, Midland, and Scottish Railway are visible in the top left corner. City of Truro can also be seen on a picture inside of Spencer's coach.
- Stock footage from Gordon and Spencer is used.
- The concept of Spencer falling asleep and unintentionally allowing Edward to overtake him by having him win the race is similar to Aesop's fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare".
- Going by production order, this is the eighth episode of the eighth season.
- Donald and Douglas were going to appear in this episode, but were cut for unknown reasons.
- A poster at Knapford reads "Alicia Botti Flower Show Grand Opening!" in the closeup of Spencer's driver.
- At the beginning, Henry has Gordon's whistle sound.
- In the first overhead shot of Edward and Spencer racing, Spencer's steam platform is visible.
- When Spencer's driver rings the bell, there is no bell in sight.
- Salty has a different horn sound.
- Gordon's Hill is situated east of Wellsworth, not west.
- In the last shot, Spencer appears to be smiling, when he should be sad.
- When Edward is climbing Gordon's Hill, it has one more track than it normally does.
- A rare deleted scene still shows one of the furniture truck's wheels derailed.
- A camera shadow can be seen on Edward when he leaves Knapford station.
- Edward's whistle is bent in the opening shot.
- When Spencer stops, the Duke and Duchess are already out of the coach taking pictures.
- When Spencer passes Edward at Wellsworth, Edward stops than starts again.
- When Spencer stopped for the Duke and Duchess to take photos, his puffing is out of sync with his speed.
In Other Languages
|German||Edward der Große||Edward the Great|
|Norwegian||Edward den store||Edward the Great|
|Italian||Edward il grande||Edward the Great|
|Spanish||El Gran Edward||The Great Edward|
|Russian||Эдвард великий||Edward the Great|
|Croatian||Edo veliki||Edward the Great|
|Hungarian||A Verseny||The Competition|
|Korean||에드워드의 승리||Edward's Victory|
|Portuguese||Edward, o Grande||Edward the Great|
|Swedish||Edvard den store||Edward the Great|
|Finnish||Edvard Suuri||Edward the Great|
|Danish||Edward den store||Edward the Great|
|Polish||Edek Wielki||Big Eddie|
|Romanian||Edward cel Mare||Edward the Great|
|Czech||Edvard veliký||Edward the Great|
|Slovak||Veľký Eduard||Edward the Great|
|Thai||เอ็ดเวิร์ดผู้ยิ่งใหญ่||Edward the Great|