|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the magazine story or the DVD.|
- "I can't do it! I can't do it! I can't do it!"
"I will do it! I will do it! I will do it!"
- ―Edward and Gordon
Edward is an old, blue engine, and was feeling sad, as he had not been out in a long time. The other engines that lived in Tidmouth Sheds with Edward told him the driver would not choose him, making Edward even more depressed, but the driver and fireman saw that he was upset, and they chose him over the other engines. Edward had a wonderful day pulling coaches. The coaches were very proud and impressed with Edward, as was his crew. He went back to the sheds that evening, and fell fast asleep.
Next morning, Gordon was bragging to Edward. He told the old engine to watch him rush by with the express that afternoon. Edward ignored him and went to shunt trucks in the yard. Edward loved shunting; he would biff the trucks, and they would scream in horror.
Edward worked very hard all day. That afternoon, he went for a rest on a siding. Presently, he heard Gordon's whistle. But instead of coaches, the express engine was pulling a line of dirty trucks. Gordon moaned as he slowly pulled a dirty goods train. He soon began to climb a hill, and stopped halfway up. Edward was soon called to be Gordon's banker. The big blue engine did not think that little old Edward could do it, but he pushed all the same. Up the hill went the train all the while Gordon kept on saying, "I can't do it, I can't do it, I can't do it!"
But to Gordon's surprise, they did make it to the top. Gordon thundered away at high-speed, cheering for himself, leaving Edward far behind without even waiting to say thank you to him. Very sad and out of breath, Edward slowly ran into a siding at Maron station, where his driver and fireman give him a long drink and promises to reward him a new coat of blue paint with red stripes.
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Tidmouth Goods Station
- Gordon's Hill
- Rail Under Road Bridge and Signalbox
- The Viaduct (deleted scene)
- This episode is based on the stories Edward's Day Out and Edward and Gordon from The Railway Series book, The Three Railway Engines.
- There are three coaches in the goods shed behind Edward which appear to be unmodified versions of the Old Coaches, painted in LNER Teak livery. They can be seen more clearly in a rare picture.
- On the Shining Time Station episode, "A Place Unlike Any Other," the line "Edward's driver came up," sounds the same as it does in the UK, but is redubbed on home video.
- George Carlin's narration of this episode was never featured on an episode of Shining Time Station. It first appeared on the 1995 George Carlin version of Thomas Gets Tricked and Other Stories.
- Some parts of this episode were recreated in CGI for the special, The Adventure Begins.
- When Gordon races through Maron, the footage is sped up.
- This is the first episode in which Thomas appears, but does not speak.
- In both US narrations, the narrator adds "...but he was happy because he had been so helpful," despite Edward looking sad and tired. It is possible the line was added because viewers in the US would understand Edward's personality better, making it seem as if he had a thoughtful positive attitude towards the other engines.
- When Edward leaves the turntable, his side jerks up a little.
- During Edward's morning train of coaches, the brake coach is backwards, this being due to the coaches only being painted on one side.
- In the scene that immediately follows Edward leaving the sheds, his eyes are wonky.
- When Edward says "I'm going out again tomorrow!" steam is venting from an empty siding in the background. In the siding where steam is venting, the rails end at the bottom of the screen.
- When Edward puffs out of the shed to shunt trucks, the shadow from the camera can be seen.
- When Edward is shunting trucks, his cab roof is raised and a truck on the line next to him is missing an eye.
- Studio equipment is seen in the top left corner when Edward's driver talks to Gordon.
- When Edward buffers up behind Gordon, the sound comes earlier than it should, Gordon's brake van has changed and the open truck is empty.
- When Gordon says "I've done it!" the ground sinks slightly.
- In both US narrations, it is said that Edward was happy because he had been so helpful, but he looks sad.
- Edward is wearing James' sad face when he approaches the water tower. Due to this, his nose and eyebrows also change shape.
- When the narrator says "Gordon was very cross," there are bushes beside Gordon instead of the yard and the sheds.
- In the restored version, as Gordon says "The shame of it!" he is not pulling the trucks.
- In a close-up of Gordon at Tidmouth Sheds, Henry is not next to Thomas.
- In the first scene, James' eyes are wonky and a camera cloud be seen somewhere.
- In the third night scene, Henry is in his new shape.
- Edward's eyes are a bit wonky in the final scene of the episode.
- At the start of the episode, the narrator mentions that Edward is the smallest engine and the rest of the engines are bigger than him. This is not true, as Thomas is actually the smallest engine and James is the same size as Edward.
- In a picture of Gordon passing Edward, the edge of the set can be seen.
- When Edward buffers up to Gordon's train, the sound effect comes slightly too early.
- Gordon: (to Edward) The driver won't choose you again. He wants strong engines like us!
- Narrator: But the driver and fireman felt sorry for Edward.
- Edward's Driver: Would you like to come out today?
- Edward: Oh yes, please.
- Gordon: You watch me, little Edward, as I rush through with the express. That will be a splendid sight for you. Goodbye, little Edward. Look out for me this afternoon.
- Trucks: [after Edward bumps them] OOH! Whatever is happening?!
- [Gordon refuses to go up the hill]
- Driver: You're not trying.
- Gordon: I can't do it! The noisy trucks/freight cars hold an engine back so!
- Narrator: Edward's driver came up.
- Edward's Driver: We've come to push.
- Gordon: No use at all!
- Edward's Driver: You wait and see.
- Gordon: I can't do it! I can't do it! I can't do it!
- Edward: I will do it! I will do it! I will do it!
- (they puff and push as hard as they could before Gordon realises he is at the top of the hill)
- Gordon: I've done it! I've done it! I've done it!
- Narrator (UK narraton): He forgot all about Edward and didn't wait to say "Thank you". Edward was left out of breath and far behind.
- Narrator (US narrations): He forgot all about kind Edward and didn't say "Thank you". Edward was left out of breath and far behind, but he was happy because he had been so helpful.
- Magazine Stories - Edward and Gordon
- My Thomas Story Library - Gordon (discontinued)
- Engine Adventures - Gordon
In Other Languages
|Spanish||Edward al Rescate / Edward y Gordon||Edward to the Rescue / Edward and Gordon|
|German||Hilfe vom kleinem Edward||Help from the little Edward|
|Brazilian Portuguese||A Ajuda de Edward||The Help of Edward|
|Norwegian||Edward og Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Italian||Edward e Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Croatian||Edo i Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Welsh||Edward a Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Finnish||Edward ja Jori||Edward and Gordon|
|Polish||Edek i Gabryś||Edward and Gordon|
|Slovenian||Edvard in Gorazd||Edward and Gordon|
|Chinese||艾德华和高登||Edward and Gordon|
|Korean||에드워드와 고든||Edward and Gordon|
|Russian||Эдвард и Гордон||Edward and Gordon|
|Hungarian||Edward és Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Dutch||Edward en Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Danish||Edward og Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Hebrew||אדי וגורדון||Eddie and Gordon|
|Swedish||Edward och Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|French||Edouard et Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Romanian||Edward şi Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Slovak||Eduard a Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Czech||Edward a Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Serbian||Edvard i Gordon||Edward and Gordon|
|Thai||เอ็ดเวิร์ดมาช่วยแล้ว||Edward Came to the Rescue|
Home Media Releases