During her youth, she used to be a very good opera singer, though her son does not like hearing it. She owns a Dalmatian, which she renamed "Gremlin" after her adventure with Gordon's "gremlins".
She is a bit of a thrill-seeker and hates going slow and resting. She hates nonsense and is shown not to believe in mythical creatures such as the abominable snowman. She loves her son, Sir Topham and opera singing.
Dowager Hatt usually wears a green dress and a green hat with gold trim and a red flower on it. During the winter she wears a purple dress and purple hat with a black flower on it.
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; thirteenth season onwards)
- Fu Suzuki (Japan; fifth season only)
- Keiko Nemoto (Japan; ninth season onwards)
- Margrit Strassburger (Germany; thirteenth season onwards)
- Ewa Serwa (Poland; thirteenth - sixteenth seasons)
- Anna Apostolakis (Poland; eighteenth season onwards)
- Lena Meieran (Norway; thirteenth - sixteenth season)
- Marianne Westby (Norway; Day of the Diesels onwards)
- Talya Barkay (Israel; fifteenth season onwards)
- Blanche Ravalec (France and French speaking Canada; ninth season onwards)
- Loretta Santini (Latin America; thirteenth season onwards)
- Mercedes Espinosa (Spain)
- Her title, Dowager, means someone who is a widow with a noble title so this means that her husband is deceased.
- Dowager Hatt's appearance has changed over the course of the television series.
- In the twelfth season, her eye colour changed from brown to blue.
- Since the switchover to CGI, Dowager Hatt appears to have lost a significant amount of weight.
- From the eighteenth season and onwards, Dowager Hatt develops wrinkles on her forehead along with paler skin.