- “What's this!? We want a proper engine, not an old fashioned steam kettle!”
- ―The trucks insulting Donald
Donald and the Breakaways is a 1990 annual story.
Donald is sent to take empty trucks to the Other Railway. While the empty trucks behave well, the loaded ones behave badly. One of them makes its axle-box run hot and the others slip on their brakes "accidentally on purpose", causing several delays for Donald. When Donald puffs up Gordon's Hill, a coupling snaps and the last ten trucks chase Donald down the hill. However, as they pass Wellsworth, the trucks slow down and stop.
- A reference to the second season episode, Break Van is made.
- The trucks' playing tricks on Donald are similar to the ones the trucks played on James in the first season episode, Troublesome Trucks.
- It is said that Donald was the one who smashed the Spiteful Brake Van when it was actually Douglas.