|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the song, the Buzz Book, the 1985 annual story, or the magazine story.|
Duck has been working hard and as a reward the Fat Controller gives him his own branch line. Duck gets conceited about his responsibility, until Donald loses patience and tells him he "quacks" like a duck laying an egg.
Duck is furious and asks his crew to put a duckling in Donald's tank. Donald becomes attached to the duckling, but she soon jumps ship at Tidmouth Hault.
Donald's crew, planning one last trick, put an egg in a box underneath Duck's bunker.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Bertie (does not speak)
- Thomas (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Douglas (cameo)
- Trevor (cameo)
- Edward (deleted scene cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Tidmouth Hault
- Anopha Quarry
- The Quarry Tramroad
- Shunting Yards
- The Lighthouse
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Oliver the Western Engine.
- In the restored version, Duck rolls his eyes after he says, "Yes, please sir".
- In a picture of a deleted scene, red and white wires are visible between Donald and his tender.
- From this episode on, Donald and Douglas' nameplates are on the middle of their boilers.
- The episode's title is an obvious play on the famous Disney character, Donald Duck.
- The Italian title of this episode is "The Duckling". It is called "Quack" in Wales.
- There is no background music when Duck explores his branch line in the early UK narration.
- The Coast Guard from TUGS appears.
- The bridge Duck crosses with the trucks is on the line to Anopha Quarry.
- Duck's driver and fireman get mixed up briefly while discussing their plan.
- When one of Duck's crew members is putting the duck in Donald's tender, he is missing his moustache.
- The narrator says Donald opened a sleepy eye, but he opens both.
- During the shed scene there appears to be smoke in the roof of the shed for both engines but neither of them have a fire lit.
- Brakevans should have been added to Toby and Duck's trains.
- The narrator says that a new station is being built, when in actuality, it is a shed.
- Given the water level in Donald's tank, there is not enough room for Dilly.
- Why were Duck, Donald, and Douglas working at Anopha Quarry? That is on Thomas' Branch Line.