Crovan's Gate is a town near a narrow gap in the hills that is the only practicable route into the centre of Sodor from the east. The town's station is the terminus of the Skarloey Railway and the location of the Works, where the North Western Railway engines go to be repaired. The town's motto is "Ave amicos cave hostes", which, translated, means "Welcome, friends; beware, enemies".
In the Railway Series
The town is named after Godred Crovan, who saved Sodor from a Viking invasion. After a warring band of Vikings landed nearby, they were lured to a small pass which led to the centre of Sodor and attacked. The Vikings retreated to their boats, only to find they had all been burnt by another party who had hidden nearby.
The Works, established in 1915, are possibly the best equipped for steam engine restoration in the British Isles - they are capable of any repair, overhaul, or restoration job for any locomotive on the Island. The Works can also manufacture steam engines and Sir Topham Hatt has been looking into the possibility of manufacturing parts for engines on heritage railways.
In the Railway Series, Crovan's Gate station and works appeared in Four Little Engines, The Eight Famous Engines, The Little Old Engine, Gallant Old Engine, Mountain Engines, Very Old Engines, Duke the Lost Engine, Really Useful Engines, Great Little Engines, Henry and the Express and New Little Engine.
In the Television Series
The Works were located at several places around the Island other than Crovan's Gate. Since Hero of the Rails, the Sodor Steamworks replaced it entirely and is located back at Crovan's Gate meaning the area has appeared quite regularly because of the frequent use of the Steamworks.
Crovan's Gate appeared as a three part station with four standard gauge platforms and two narrow gauge ones. The station only appeared in the fourth, eighteenth and twentieth seasons as well as in stock footage during the seventh season. It was also used to represent one of the stations on the Mid Sodor Railway in the fourth season episode, You Can't Win and a mainland station in the eighteenth season episode, Last Train for Christmas.
- When the station returned in CGI in the eighteenth season, twenty years after the model version in the fourth season, there were several additions and modifications:
- Some sheds, similar to the Skarloey Railway engine sheds, appeared right behind the station.
- All the platforms were noticeably longer.
- The narrow gauge platforms were raised up considerably.
- The platforms between the standard gauge tracks became conjoined.
- A footbridge spanning the narrow gauge tracks and a third standard gauge track in the middle station were added.
- The canopy of the main standard gauge station was removed. The middle station footbridge was redesigned similar to the canopy's design and was much longer.
- The lamp posts, benches and the white wooden shelter all changed design.
- The water tower for the narrow gauge engines, some signal boxes, the coaling areas, some walls and some workmen's sheds disappeared.
- The road bridge that only crossed the three main lines, now goes across the 6 standard gauge lines and the three narrow gauge lines.
- All the standard gauge tracks and the narrow gauge lines (road bridge side only), were straight instead of curving.