|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the parrot.|
Charlie is a tank engine who loves to tell jokes and have fun.
Charlie first arrived on Sodor to help out on the railway. He was said to be the favorite engine of the Mainland Engines. When Thomas was to show him around, Charlie convinced him to have fun instead of bringing Alicia Botti to the concert.
When Flynn was going on the roads for the first time, Charlie teased him by calling him a "big wobble on wheels". Later, in winter, Charlie pretended to be a talking snowman, which made Henry rather scared until Charlie realised that everyone has different opinions about snow.
Charlie has a reputation for being a really fun engine. He has an unquenchable desire for fun, games and play, and is said to have been the favourite engine of the Mainland Controller. Charlie can get easily distracted by his japes, sometimes distracting others in the process. Charlie can be pouty, huffy, and teasing at times, but he always wants everyone to be enjoying themselves. Often though, Charlie will learn that the opinions of others, keeping calm and working hard to complete your jobs foremost, are important if you want to be a Really Useful engine. He has a good working relationship with Edward, often calling him "Eddie", who is sometimes capable of taking Charlie under his wing, and Thomas, who Charlie enjoys racing and sharing in the fun with. Being a fun-loving, playful scamp, cheeky Charlie is popular at parties and fairs, is well liked by the children, and known for his youthful humour.
Charlie is a Manning Wardle L Class 0-6-0ST. Billy is another member of this class.
Charlie is painted purple with gold and light purple trim and red wheels; he has the number fourteen painted in gold on his sides.
- Season 13 - Play Time, Toby's New Whistle (cameo), Thomas and the Runaway Kite, and Splish, Splash, Splosh!
- Season 14 - Charlie and Eddie
- Season 15 - Emily and Dash, Percy's New Friends (cameo), Edward the Hero, James to the Rescue (does not speak), Happy Hiro, Surprise, Surprise, and Stuck on You (cameo)
- Season 16 - Race to the Rescue, Ol' Wheezy Wobbles (cameo), Ho Ho Snowman, Sodor Surprise Day, Muddy Matters (cameo), and Whiff's Wish (cameo)
- Day of the Diesels (cameo)
- 2010 - Play Time and Thomas and the Kites
- 2011 - Charlie and Eddie and The Runaway Kite
- 2012 - Edward the Hero (does not speak)
- 2013 - Whiff's Wish (cameo) and Sodor Surprise Day (cameo)
- Ben Small (US; sixteenth season onwards)
- Matt Wilkinson (UK)
- Hideyuki Kanaya (Japan)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; thirteenth season onwards)
- Matthias Klimsa (Germany)
- Wooden Railway
- Take-n-Play (normal and talking)
- Mega Bloks
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains (Japan only)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engine • Bill and Ben • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • Mavis • The Works Diesel • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|
|Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • Molly • Neville • Rosie • Whiff • Billy • Stanley • Hank • Flora • Victor • Charlie • Bash and Dash • Ferdinand • Scruff • Belle • Diesel • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Salty • Dennis • Den • Dart • Sidney • Paxton • Norman • Flynn • Winston • Stafford|