- “Captain Baxter's tough too, and rather rude. But he's worked at a quarry, and you know what that does to an engine's language and manners.... He's a good sort really, I like him, but we both miss our work with trucks.”
- ―Stepney, Stepney's Special, Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine
Captain Baxter is a former Dorking Greystone Lime Company engine who now lives on the Bluebell Railway.
The Railway Series
Captain Baxter spent most of his working life at the Dorking Greystone Limeworks, it was here that he gained his mannerism of strong language. Captain Baxter was later saved from scrap and brought for preservation by the Bluebell Railway Preservation Society.
When Stepney visited the Island of Sodor, he mentioned Captain Baxter in a conversation with Edward. He says that they are good friends, and both miss pulling trucks. Stepney goes on to describe him as a tough, rude engine who worked in a quarry, which gave him bad manners, and rough language.
According to Stepney, Captain Baxter is a tough and rather rude engine. Unlike most engines, he enjoys working with trucks, and despite his flaws Stepney enjoys his company and retains that "he's a good sort really".
Captain Baxter was built by Fletcher, Jennings & Co. in 1877 and spent his working life at the Dorking Greystone Limeworks at Betchworth Station.
In 1960 came to the Bluebell Railway, and returned to service in 1982 after a comprehensive overhaul. He was later overhauled in 1990, and has recently returned to service following a complete overhaul. Railway volunteers are seeking to appoint the restoration team who repaired Stepney's brother, Fenchurch. Captain Baxter is currently back in service on the Bluebell Railway, having returned to working order in time for the railway's "Bluebell 50 Gala".
Captain Baxter is painted maroon with black lining. In his Railway Series appearance, he is painted in a plain maroon livery.
- Captain Baxter was built by Fletcher, Jennings & Co. at Whitehaven, the same place as Skarloey, Rheneas, Talyllyn, Dolgoch and Smudger. He is also one of the only standard gauge steam locomotives to be built by Fletcher Jennings.
- In 2016, Captain Baxter was the first standard gauge engine to visit the Talyllyn Railway. He visited the railway to celebrate Dolgoch's 150th birthday.
- In 2014, it was Featured in "Muppets Most Wanted" as "Randy Stevenot No. 3".