Butch, also known as the "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit", is a breakdown vehicle. He is kept busy in construction areas, clearing rubble, towing broken-down or stranded vehicles, or assisting in engine rescues.
Butch first appeared towing Lorry 3 to the docks after he broke down. After that, he recieved many cameo appearances. He also helped with the demolition of Tidmouth Sheds in Calling All Engines! and the rebuild of Great Waterton in The Great Discovery. He is now part of the Search and Rescue Team. In the fifteenth season, he was given a magnet. In the sixteenth season, Butch broke down and needed to be towed to the Search and Rescue Centre by Flynn.
Butch is serious about his job and loves working, especially with his railway friends. Despite his size, Butch has a kind heart and is always ready when his service is needed.
Butch is based on a Scammel tank recovery vehicle. According to the official website, he was constructed out of parts from a diesel, a lorry, and a crane.
Butch is painted yellow with a navy flatbed and "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit" written on both sides in white. Since the opening of the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre, he has the logo of said establishment on his cab doors.
- Rupert Degas (UK; fifteenth season only)
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; sixteenth season onwards)
- Glenn Wrage (US; fifteenth season onwards)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; fifteenth season onwards)
- Hiroo Sasaki (Japan)
- Butch's model is currently on display at Drayton Manor.
- Until the fifteenth season, Butch's only speaking role was in a Leap Pad book called, "Thomas the Really Useful Engine".
- ERTL (discontinued - marked as "Sodor Recovery Unit")
- Wooden Railway
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Bandai Tecs (with trailer; discontinued)
- Mega Bloks
- Wind-up Trains (Japan only)
- Nakayoshi (with trailer; discontinued)