|This article is about 'the barge'. You may be looking for 'the Story Library book'.|
- “Bulstrode is a disagreeable barge. He never stops complaining!”
- ―Percy's driver
Bulstrode is a highly disagreeable barge who used to work on water. He now resides at Tidmouth Beach as a children's playground.
Bulstrode was used to carry cargo like coal and stone to Knapford Harbour, but always complained about not being loaded fast enough. This annoyed the trucks, but one day Bulstrode ended up getting what he deserved when Percy accidentally pushed stone trucks off the quay and into his hold, bursting a hole in his hull. He was then towed to a beach, where he was turned into a children's playground. He remains there today, most likely still grumbling.
Bulstrode is rude and bad-tempered, and complains endlessly.
Bulstrode is based on a 1920s self-propelled coastal barge.
Bulstrode is painted with a cream cab, brown deck, a black hull and a red keel. His name is painted on his bow in white. In the "My First Thomas" range he is painted blue, red and yellow.
- Season 4 - Special Attraction
- Season 5 - Oliver's Find (faceless; cameo) and Happy Ever After (faceless; cameo)
- Season 6 - No Sleep for Cranky (deleted scene cameo)
- Thomas' Anthem Grand Finale, Gone Fishing, Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover, Accidents Will Happen, Night Train (faceless), Percy's Seaside Trip, Little Engines and Troublesome Trucks
His faceless model made numerous appearances at the Fishing Village in the fifth season. His surprised face was also used on some trucks in the eighth and tenth season episodes, Fish and The Green Controller respectively.
- 1998 - The Big Speech!
- 2001 - Down at the Docks (does not speak) and Bulstrode the Hero (does not speak)
- 2002 - Take Cover!, The Beach and Safe as Houses!
- 2003 - Shipwrecked! and Tour of Sodor
- 2004 - On the Beach
- 2005 - Too Wet
- 2006 - Wait with Freight and Caroline's Cruise
- Ryōichi Tanaka (Japan)
- Bulstrode's appearance in the television series is rather different from his Railway Series appearance: in the Railway Series he has two cargo holds and his face is the same colour as his cab, while in the television series he only has one hold and the standard grey face.
- Bulstrode is currently the only non-human character created by Christopher Awdry to be introduced into the television series.
- According to Abi Grant, Bulstrode was meant to have a large scale model built for the Wharf, but this never happened due to budget reasons.
- Bulstrode's original model began to deteriorate during the production of the fifth season, and was subsequently damaged while being shipped to/from Canada during the production of Thomas and the Magic Railroad. A new model of Bulstrode was built to replace the original and had different dimensions. The newer model of Bulstrode is currently on display at Drayton Manor on a beach near Bluff's Cove.
- Despite being beached in both the television series and the Railway Series, he is still depicted as being used in forms of media such as Video Games, and DVD Minigames.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains
- Bath Squirter (Bath Buddies and Water Strainer)