|This article is about the barge. You may be looking for the Story Library book.|
- “Bulstrode is a disagreeable barge. He never stops complaining!”
- ―Percy's driver, Special Attraction, fourth season
Bulstrode is a highly disagreeable barge who used to work on water. He now resides at Tidmouth Beach as a children's playground.
Bulstrode was used to carry cargo like coal and stone to Knapford Harbour, but always complained about not being loaded fast enough. This annoyed the trucks, but one day Bulstrode ended up getting what he deserved when Percy accidentally pushed stone trucks off the quay and into his hold, bursting a hole in his hull. He was then towed to a beach, where he was turned into a children's playground. He remains there today, most likely still grumbling.
Bulstrode is rude and bad-tempered, and complains endlessly.
Bulstrode is based on a 1920s self-propelled coastal barge.
Bulstrode is painted cream, black and red. In the "My First Thomas" range he is painted blue, red and yellow.
- Ryōichi Tanaka (Japan)
- Bulstrode's appearance in the television series is rather different from his Railway Series appearance: in the Railway Series he has two cargo holds and his face is the same colour as his cab, while in the television series he only has one hold and the standard grey face.
- Bulstrode is currently the only non-human character created by Christopher Awdry to be introduced into the television series.
- According to Abi Grant, Bulstrode was meant to have a large scale model built for the Wharf, but this never happened due to budget reasons.
- One of Bulstrode's models has been put on display at Drayton Manor on a beach near Bluff's Cove.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains
- Bath Squirter (Bath Buddies and Water Strainer)