|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the episode.|
Bulgy, the nickname given to him by Oliver, is a double-decker bus, who was once very opposed to railways.
Bulgy hated railways, and believed that some day they would all be replaced by roads. He even carried a poster on his side telling people to "JOIN THE ANTI-RAIL LEAGUE". His favourite phrase is "Free the roads!"
Bulgy tried to steal Duck and Oliver's passengers by pretending to be a railway bus. Bulgy was determined to get the passengers to Tidmouth before Duck, but got stuck under a bridge after attempting to take a short cut. His lies were exposed, and soon "nobody would believe his destination boards". Eventually he was turned into a henhouse and placed near the bridge, now nicknamed "Bulgy's Bridge".
Bulgy was later brought back to the road to help with passengers while Thomas and Emily needed repairs, but the chickens who had lived in him nestled in his luggage racks and caused trouble the following morning. He was then turned into a mobile vegetable stand. Bulgy enjoys his work delivering vegetables, because they do not lay eggs and they never complain.
The Official Website states that he is now a refreshment stand. However, this could be a mistake.
In magazines, he has been converted into a playbus and a greenhouse.
Bulgy was a very rude and bad-tempered double-decker bus. After being restored, he saw the error of his ways and changed his attitude.
According to the "Character Cube" bonus features in the "Thomas Gets Bumped" and "Thomas and the Toy Workshop" DVDs, Bulgy "has no scruples" and "knows how to tell a lie when he is in a tight jam", and is friends with Diesel.
Bulgy is based on an AEC Bridgemaster bus.
Bulgy was previously painted red and cream, but after becoming a vegetable bus he was painted green and cream. He has since gone back to his old livery. He has a sign on his left side reading "Railway Bus" and an opposing sign on his left side reading "JOIN THE ANTI-RAIL LEAGUE". He also has a sign on his front and back, reading "FREE THE ROADS".
- Daisuke Gōri (Japan)
- Bulgy and Diesel are apparently good friends.
- Bulgy's model (in original red livery) has been put on display at Drayton Manor.
- Bulgy uses Dunlop brand tyres.
- In the UK narration, Bulgy develops a lisp in the seventh season.
- According to the magazine story, Playbus, Bertie and Bulgy are cousins.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (reissued 2010; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (both liveries; discontinued)
- TrackMaster (green livery; discontinued)
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Bandai (several versions; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up (green livery; Japan only)
- Nakayoshi (red and green; only available with Caroline; red discontinued)