Building the New Line is a PC game developed by Stunt Puppy Entertainment, Inc. and published by Infogrames. The game was released in 2002.
Sir Topham Hatt thinks that Sodor needs a new branch line, so it is up to the player to decide where to build the new line, either at the farm, the docks, or the quarry.
First the player must choose to play as either Thomas, Percy, Edward or James and then start work on building new lines from a template. Then the player can decorate the line with scenery and then choose what produce can be collected from certain stops. The player can then test the new line where a variety of obstacles creep up (including George rolling over the rails, rocks falling on the line, the engine derailing, etc).
Finally, the engine has to be cleaned and the station decorated for the grand opening.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Bertie (does not speak)
- George (does not speak)
- Bulstrode (does not speak)
- Thumper (does not speak)
- Cranky (does not speak)
- The characters in the game are voiced by Michael Angelis for the UK and Robin Smith for the US.
- The player has the choice of which track an engine rides on.
- In an advertisement for this game, it had different graphics and some of its levels were able to be skipped. Edward and James' tenders were also missing.
- While building the track layout, Sir Topham Hatt's theme is used; the farm location uses an unused version of Toby's theme; the quarry location uses Donald and Douglas' theme; the docks location uses Trevor's theme; while decorating the engine at the station, Henry's theme from The Flying Kipper is used; while cleaning the engine, Bertie's theme is used; while selecting an engine at the beginning of the game, an unused version of Bill and Ben's theme is used; when the station officially opens, Harold's theme is used and in the main menu, Percy's theme is used.
- Robin Smith is credited for the character voices in the UK dub since he didn't speak in that dub. He was the narrator and voice-over from the US dub.
- Thomas' smokebox saddle is blue.
- One of Percy's sandboxes is dark green.
- Thomas' frame extensions turn blue when he is preparing for the grand opening.
- At the quarry location, coal and rocks are stored in bags for no reason. This is the same thing with flour at the farm or the docks.
- Edward and all of the other engines have the same whistle sound.