The brakevan, also known as the guard's van, guard's car, or caboose (in American narrations), is an important part of every goods train. It carries the guard and is equipped with a strong brake to assist with slowing and stopping the train. From here, the guard can keep an eye on the train in case of problems.
- Between seasons eight and twelve, brakevans were rarely seen. Since the CGI Series, brakevans have been seen more often.
- To date, three brakevans have been named: Beatrice, Cora, and Toad.
- Five different types of standard gauge brakevan have been seen on the Island: BR Standard 20 Ton vans, Southern Railway 25 Ton "Pillbox" vans, GWR toads, LMS 20 ton, and narrow gauge Welshpool & Llanfair vans converted to standard gauge (albeit still carrying narrow gauge "chopper"-type couplings and lacking buffers).
- All the brakevans in the Wooden Railway range are in the form of American cabooses, except for The Spiteful Brakevan and Toad.
- Toad, The Spiteful Brakevan, The Elderly Brakevan, The Old Guard's Van, Beatrice, and Cora are the only known brakevans to have faces.
- Wooden Railway (as a caboose; red, yellow, musical, and two Halloween versions)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued outside Asia)
- Take-Along (as a caboose; discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (as a caboose)
- Bandai Tecs (with mail car; discontinued)
- Bachmann (HO and large scale)
- Hornby (discontinued)