Better Late Than Never and Other Stories is a US and Canadian VHS release featuring five second season episodes and two first season episodes narrated by Ringo Starr. It was distributed by Strand VCI Entertainment in 1991, reissued by Strand Home Video in 1992 and Time-Life in 1994.
PEEP-PEEP! Adventures on the Island of Sodor. This time around, watch as Thomas misbehaves, and gets stuck underground. Find out what happens when Duck doubts Diesel. Laugh along as both Gordon and Duck run out of luck with those pesky trucks and Annie and Clarabel spell double trouble for Thomas. Climb aboard and watch the magic come alive with Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends Volume 5!
- Better Late Than Never
- Pop Goes the Diesel
- Diesel's Devious Deed
- A Close Shave for Duck
- Gordon Takes a Dip
- Down the Mine
- The Runaway
- This tape was the last of a few things:
- The last Thomas VHS tape to have the stories arranged based on the order they were featured on their Shining Time Station airdates.
- The last VHS released by Strand VCI Entertainment.
- The last VHS to feature Edward and Toby's original nameboards.
- The last VHS to have the nameboard sequences end with Sir Topham Hatt's close-up from Trouble in the Shed.
- The last VHS to have Ringo Starr's American narrations, until Best of Percy in 2001.
- This was the last Strand Home Video release to use the Strand VCI Entertainment logo on the spine and the Strand VCI Entertainment address etc on the back cover.
- On the Strand VCI Entertainment release, the first few seconds of Better Late than Never is cut off. As a result, Thomas' whistle is not heard.
- On the Strand Home Video release, the yellow split transition after Diesel's Devious Deed is cut out.
- On the 1991 release, a yellow banner is seen at the bottom of the title card for Down the Mine.
- The photographs are copyrighted 1985 on the back cover when they are actually from 1986.
- The UK narration can faintly be heard in the background.