Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the annual story, the German DVD or the French DVD.|
Best Friends is the twentieth episode of the twelfth season.
Thomas and Percy are best friends, and always love to work together. No matter the job, if they are working together, they will get the job done.
One day, Thomas and Percy are shunting at the quarry when Neville puffs up. He informs the engines that the brass band is going to play. Despite liking the brass brand, Percy is upset that he never gets to pull them. Thomas suggests that Percy goes to the wash down and look as shiny as a trumpet. That way, it'll be more likely that the Fat Controller will pick him. Percy happily puffs off. Just then, the Fat Controller arrives, and gives Thomas the job to collect the brass band after he has had a wash. Thomas is worried; Percy wanted to pull the train. Percy soon returns and is very happy. Thomas claims that he has another job, and chuffs away. Percy happily whistles, but Thomas is too worried to whistle back.
Thomas is having his shower when he sees Percy. He hides in the nearby shed, and Percy passes right by. Thomas is relieved. Soon, Thomas has collected Annie and Clarabel, but it's not the last time he sees Percy. Worried, Thomas decides to take the long way. He thinks that he'll be able to avoid Percy, but he still finds Percy. Thankfully, Duck has a goods train, so Thomas hides behind the train. Percy rolls right past. With a quick "thank you" to a puzzled Duck, Thomas continues on his journey.
But by the time Thomas reached the docks, he is late. He already feels bad enough, but after noticing that one of the players forgot his instrument, Thomas feels even worse. Now Percy will catch him, and Percy did. Percy feels betrayed, and asked Thomas why he didn't tell him because he tells him everything. Thomas tries to whistle to cheer his friend up, but it doesn't work, and Percy doesn't whistle back. Thomas feels guilty as he puffs out of the docks.
When the concert is nearly over, the Fat Controller orders Thomas to take the band back. Knowing that Percy is pulling the mail, Thomas asks if they could switch jobs. The Fat Controller agrees. Thomas rushes off to find Percy, but the concert is almost over. At last, Thomas finds Percy, but he is still upset. Thomas suggests to switch jobs, and Percy's face lights up again. When all the work is done, Thomas promises Percy that he'll always tell him everything.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Duck (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Sodor Brass Band (do not speak)
- Behind the scenes footage for The Great Discovery included Pierce Brosnan reading the script of the episode.
- Extended stock footage from Percy and the Left Luggage is used.
- This episode aired before The Great Discovery came out in the UK, meaning the audience may not have known what Great Waterton was.
- This episode marks Neville's first speaking role since his debut in the ninth season episode Thomas and the New Engine.
- This is the only episode written by Anna Starkey.
- This was the final episode for several things:
- The final episode to use models for filming. From Hero of the Rails onwards, all footage is in full CGI.
- The last episode filmed at Shepperton Studios.
- The last episode directed by Steve Asquith and to involve him in production.
- The final episode narrated by Arturo Mercado Jr. in Latin America and Dário de Castro in Brazil.
- The last episode until The Thomas Way to use both models and CGI.
- Duck's last appearance until the seventeenth season episode, Henry's Hero.
- The last appearance of Neville and Great Waterton to date, though the latter would later be mentioned in Tale of the Brave.
- The last episode where everyone is voiced by the narrator, except in the Japanese dubs.
- In the US narration, after Sir Topham Hatt tells Thomas his job, he says "thank you," but he mumbles.
- When Percy arrives at the docks, only Thomas' face is in CGI. Thomas' CGI face is not in the right position in that scene.
- When Thomas and Percy are whistling at each other, no steam is emitted.
- When Percy leaves the Quarry, he has no brake van.
- When Thomas hides behind Duck, he jitters.
- Duck's face is out of scale.
In Other Languages
|German||Beste Freunde||Best Friends|
|Italian||Il migliore amico||The Best Friend|
|Portuguese||Ótimos Amigos||Great Friends|
|Finnish||Parhaat ystävät||The Best Friends|
|Polish||Najlepsi Przyjaciele||Best Friends|
|Spanish||Mejores Amigos||Best Friends|
|Croatian||Najbolji prijatelji||Nest Friends|
|Czech||Nejlepší přátelé||Best Friends|
|Slovak||Najlepší priatelia||Best Friends|
|French||Les meilleurs amis||The Best Friends|
|Thai||โธมัสเพื่อนรัก||Thomas is Love|
Home Media Releases