|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the annual story, the German DVD, or the French DVD.|
September 26th, 2008
Best Friends is the twentieth episode of the twelfth season.
Neville informs Thomas and Percy that the brass band is coming for a special concert. Thomas suggests that if Percy wants to collect the band then he should go to the washdown, but while Percy is away the Fat Controller arrives and asks Thomas to take the band. Thomas feels bad and tries to avoid Percy, but when he has to collect the band from Brendam he is found by Percy. Thomas feels guilty and asks the Fat Controller to let Percy collect the band afterwards, and leaves to tell Percy of his plan. Percy and Thomas make up and agree to never keep secrets from each other again.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Duck (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Sodor Brass Band (do not speak)
- Behind the scenes footage for The Great Discovery included Pierce Brosnan reading the script of the episode.
- Stock footage from Percy and the Left Luggage is used.
- This episode marks Neville's first speaking role since the ninth season episode Thomas and the New Engine. This is also his last appearance to date.
- This was the final episode to use models for filming. From Hero of the Rails onwards, all footage is in CGI. This is also the last episode aired to be filmed at Shepperton Studios.
- This is the final episode to be narrated by Arturo Mercado Jr. in Latin America.
- This was the final production to include TV Series veterans, Steve Asquith, Terence Permane, David Eves, Nigel Permane, and Robert Gauld-Galliers.
- This episode aired before The Great Discovery came out in the UK, so the audience wouldn't known what Great Waterton was.
- This episode marks Duck's last appearance until the seventeenth season episode Henry's Hero.
- Thomas could have easily been seen by Percy, when he had his washdown or when he was hiding behind Duck.
- In the US narration, after Sir Topham Hatt told Thomas his job, he says "thank you", but he mumbles.
- Thomas could have asked the Fat Controller to let Percy collect the brass band.
- Duck's face is undersized and missing its prominent cheekbones.
- A brakevan should have been added to Percy's train.