Bertram, nicknamed "the Old Warrior" for his bravery, is an old narrow-gauge engine who worked in a quarry on the far side of the island.
Bertram used to work in a series of mines with other "little engines". His fate was unknown to many after the mine's closure, and it was assumed he was left to rust. Over time, he became legendary; many knowing of the "old warrior ghost" haunting the mine. However, Toby found him whilst watching over the quarry one night, and has since befriended him. He now works at the restored mines, taking passengers to the fairground within.
Little is known about Bertram's persona, other than that he is considered incredibly brave.
Bertram is painted dark brown with red lining.
He also appeared in the fifth season song, Percy's Seaside Trip.
- According to Britt Allcroft, Bertram was supposed to be a tank engine, but financial difficulty in building a new model made them repaint Duke's model with Smudger's face.
- The ERTL and some TrackMaster models have his name spelt as "Bertrum".
- The ERTL Bertram prototype had Duke's face.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (as a tank engine; re-release 2012; discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan • Ivo Hugh • Duke • Fred • Mark V • Ministry of Defence Engine|
|Bertram • Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|