|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the controller of the North Western Railway.|
- "His name's really Bertram, but we call him the 'Old Warrior', because he's so brave."
- ―The signalman, Toby's Discovery, fifth season
Bertram, nicknamed the "Old Warrior" for his bravery, is an old narrow gauge tank-tender engine who worked at the mines.
Bertram used to work at the mines near the Mid Sodor Railway. His fate was unknown to many after the mine's closure, and it was assumed he was left to rust. He remained at the mine until it was rediscovered years later.
Over time, he became legendary; many knowing of the "old warrior ghost" haunting the mine. However, Toby found him whilst watching over the quarry one night, and has since befriended him. He now works at the restored mines, taking passengers to the fairground within.
Not much is known about Bertram's persona; however, it is said that he is very brave, and that he and Toby are firm friends.
Bertram is based on Prince, a George England tender engine on the Ffestiniog Railway. Duke is another member of this class. Bertram has been re-gauged from 1ft 11 1⁄2in to 2ft 3in and been given loose couplings.
Bertram is painted dark brown with red lining. In some of his merchandise, he has two brown or red nameplates on either side of his saddletank with his name written in gold.
- According to Britt Allcroft, Bertram was supposed to be a tank engine, but financial difficulty in building a new model made them repaint Duke's model with Smudger's face. His original Wooden Railway toy depicts him in his tank engine form.
- His ERTL toy, TrackMaster prototype toy and the 2014 map spelt his name as "Bertrum".
- His Ertl prototype and Trading Card promo have Duke's face
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (as a tank engine; re-release 2011; 2016 reintroduction as a tender engine)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- "Beware of the ghost, Toby."
- "W-W-what ghost?"
- "The old warrior ghost. Every night he lights his fire then goes hunting. Toot toot, goodbye!"
- Thomas telling Toby about the "Old Warrior", Toby's Discovery, fifth season
|Mid Sodor Railway|
|Duke • Stanley • Falcon • Stuart • Other Engines|
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan • Ivo Hugh • Duke|
|Fred • Ivo's Flying Bedstead|
|Bertram • Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|