|This article is about the bus. You may be looking for the Story Library book.|
Bio in the Railway Series
Tank Engine Thomas Again
After Thomas became stuck in a snowdrift, Bertie came to rescue Thomas' passengers. He later raced Thomas after claiming he was the faster of the two, but lost after having to stop at a traffic light.
Edward the Blue Engine
Bertie tried to catch up with Edward while carrying Thomas' passengers.
More About Thomas the Tank Engine
Bertie teased Thomas about being slow, but had to eat his words after breaking down.
Thomas and Victoria
Thomas and his Friends
Bio in the Television Series
Bertie was chosen to take visitors to the Vicar's party, and teased Trevor by calling him a "stick-in-the-mud" and old fashioned. However, he got his comeuppance when he got himself stuck in the mud and had to be pulled out by Terence. After that, Bertie thanked Trevor and gave him an apology for teasing him.
When Edward had an accident on the day before he was to take the Brass Band to a concert, Bertie had to take them instead, but got stuck in the mud again. Luckily, Edward was repaired and took the Brass Band to their concert.
Bertie is continuously alluding to his race with Thomas and how he could win next time. He actually raced Thomas again in the seventh season episode, Three Cheers for Thomas, but only won because Thomas was sidetracked with collecting the sport medals.
Bertie and Thomas have seemed to continue this tradition of racing. However, in the seventeenth season, he was re-routed giving him an advantage. Thomas is still able to beat him occasionally.
In the nineteenth season, he teased Thomas by telling him about what was on the other side of a mountain on his branch line. Thomas was cross by Bertie's teasing and became determined to find out what was there.
In Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure, while he and Thomas are racing, Thomas nearly collides with Toby, and he nearly collides with Oliver the Excavator. He was then seen on the road by the Harwick Branch Line. Sheep were in his way, but Bertie just smiled.
Bertie is friendly and ready to help anyone in need. However, he can be quite cocky and boastful about himself, especially to Thomas, always joking around and teasing him about their races. He can sometimes be quite grumpy, as whenever he breaks down or gets stuck, he grumbles about it. He is always, however, easy-going and cheerful to everyone he sees.
Bertie is based on an AEC Regal "T Class" London Country Area bus. 8 of these are known to survive in preservation.
Bertie is painted in the common red livery of buses in the United Kingdom, mostly famously used by London Transport. His number plate, CRD54, refers to the fact that it was first seen in Edward the Blue Engine, published in 1954, and illustrated by C. Reginald Dalby.
- Kevin Frank (Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Rupert Degas (UK/US; fifteenth season - sixteenth season)
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; seventeenth season onwards)
- Hikaru Midorikawa (Japan; first - eighth seasons)
- Takafumi Kawakami (Japan; ninth - twelfth seasons)
- Mitsuhiro Sakamaki (Japan; fifteenth season onwards)
- Santiago Ziesmer (Germany; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Gerhart Hinze (Germany; fifteenth and sixteenth seasons)
- Rainer Schmitt (Germany; seventeenth season only)
- Helgo Liebig (Germany; Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure onwards)
- Michael von Rospatt (Germany; Audio Books only)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; fifteenth season and seventeenth seasons)
- Øyvind Borgemoen Lyse (Norway; sixteenth season only)
- Krystyna Kozanecka (Poland; fifteenth - seventeenth seasons)
- Elżbieta Kijowska (Poland; eighteenth season onwards)
- Roberto Carrillo (Latin America; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Herman López (Latin America; Thomas and the Magic Railroad; TV Version)
- Edson Matus (Latin America; fifteenth season onwards)
- Reinder van der Naalt (The Netherlands)
- Hadar Shachaf Ma'ayan (Israel; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Yehonatan Magon (Israel)
- Dor Srugo (Israel; Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure only)
- Guilherme Briggs (Brazil; Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Bertie is the first road vehicle introduced in the series.
- In an original Awdry drawing, Bertie is depicted as a double-decker bus.
- Bertie is the only talking non-rail vehicle to appear in every season of the television series.
- Bertie's French name was Bertrand in the Classic Series.
- His driver's door had always been painted on in black.
- Bertie would often have two drivers, as seen in Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party.
- Bertie went through several aesthetic changes in the television series:
- Season 2
- His driver's door handle disappeared.
- Parts of Season 2 & 3:
- Some of Bertie's facemasks have rounded edges on his radiator instead of being slanted.
- Season 3:
- Bertie now has eyebrows on every face mask.
- His face mask mouths are now painted in.
- Season 7:
- Bertie's eyes now move with a motor.
- Season 8:
- Bertie now has Caroline's horn sound.
- Season 11:
- Bertie's radiator is permanently slanted on the corners with all facemasks.
- Season 13:
- His radiator was missing.
- His face became longer.
- Season 14:
- His radiator returned.
- Season 19:
- His windows became glazed/tinted so his driver's face could no longer be seen.
- Season 2
- ERTL (normal and Gold Rail; both discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (two versions and battery-powered; battery-powered discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued; reintroduced in 2016)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Hornby (two versions; both discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- My First Thomas
- Capsule Plarail
- Puka-Q (discontinued)
- Limited Edition Collection
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Capsule Collection
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- De Agostini (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Capsule Plarail (normal, clear and metallic)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Boss (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Push Along
- Micro Rubber Engines
- Bath Toys
- Switch-On Keychains
- Minis (classic)
- Pre-Cut Model Engine Books (discontinued)
- Big Buddy (discontinued)